Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: SDR  AIIB  Refugee  Paris attacks  Syria  

Fighting with IS continues near Iraq's Ramadi after liberation

English.news.cn   2016-01-10 22:45:03

BAGHDAD, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- Iraqi security forces on Sunday continued fighting the Islamic State (IS) and cleared new areas in the city of Ramadi, the capital of the western province of Anbar.

Fierce clashes erupted in the morning as Iraqi security forces and allied Sunni tribal fighters launched an operation to flush out IS militants from Soufiyah district in the eastern part of Ramadi, some 110 km west of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, killing at least 22 militants, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.

Meanwhile, a suicide bomber attacked the security forces near the government complex in the center of Ramadi, killing nine security members and wounding 12 others, the source said.

Also in Ramadi, a booby-trapped house was detonated during a search operation in the battlefield district of al-Mal'ab in the east, leaving 10 security members dead and six others wounded, the source said, adding the troops took control of the district.

Iraqi forces captured downtown Ramadi from the IS on Dec. 28, but other parts of the city are yet to be fully secured due to a large numbers of bombs planted by the IS.

Also on Sunday, Iraqi and U.S.-led aircraft carried out airstrikes on IS positions in Mudhiej area east of Ramadi, killing at least 13 militants, the source added.

Meantime, air strikes and heavy clashes with IS militants continued near the town of Barwana, some 190 km west of Baghdad, as the security forces recaptured all the areas at the edge of the town. Dozens of IS militants were killed, the source said without giving further details.

During the past few days, Barwana was the scene of a series of attacks by IS militants which were repelled by security forces and local Sunni tribal fighters, with the support from the air.

In Salahudin province, an unmanned Iraqi plane mistakenly bombed a Shiite paramilitary unit, known as Hashd Shaabi, at al-Salam village north of the provincial capital city Tikrit, some 170 km north of Baghdad. Nine members of the unit were killed and 13 others injured, the provincial operations command said in a statement.

Related:

Iraqi PM says Baghdad conducts 60 pct of sorties against IS, asks again Turkish troops to leave

BAGHDAD, Jan. 9 (Xinhua) -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Saturday said that more than 60 percent of sorties in the battles against the Islamic State (IS) militant group were carried out by the Iraqi air force conducted.

In his speech at the ceremony of 94th anniversary of the Police Day, Abadi said "during the last year, Iraqi air force fought Daesh (IS group in Arabic) and our pilots risked their lives, and I can say that maybe 60 percent of the sorties have been conducted by the Iraqi air force, but still about 40 percent of the sorties we need the coalition (led by Washington) aircraft to cooperate with us."Full Story

U.S.-led coalition says IS loses 40 percent of land in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Jan. 5 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic State (IS) has lost 40 percent of its occupied territory in Iraq, while the Iraqi security forces retook an area near the town of Haditha in the western province of Anbar, the U.S.-led anti-IS coalition said on Tuesday.

Besides Iraq, the IS has also lost about 20 percent of its controlled area in Syria, the coalition spokesman, Col. Steve Warren, said in a press briefing in Baghdad. "Taking together Iraq and Syria, they lost 30 percent of the territory they once held."Full Story

Editor: Yamei Wang
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

Fighting with IS continues near Iraq's Ramadi after liberation

English.news.cn 2016-01-10 22:45:03

BAGHDAD, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- Iraqi security forces on Sunday continued fighting the Islamic State (IS) and cleared new areas in the city of Ramadi, the capital of the western province of Anbar.

Fierce clashes erupted in the morning as Iraqi security forces and allied Sunni tribal fighters launched an operation to flush out IS militants from Soufiyah district in the eastern part of Ramadi, some 110 km west of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, killing at least 22 militants, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.

Meanwhile, a suicide bomber attacked the security forces near the government complex in the center of Ramadi, killing nine security members and wounding 12 others, the source said.

Also in Ramadi, a booby-trapped house was detonated during a search operation in the battlefield district of al-Mal'ab in the east, leaving 10 security members dead and six others wounded, the source said, adding the troops took control of the district.

Iraqi forces captured downtown Ramadi from the IS on Dec. 28, but other parts of the city are yet to be fully secured due to a large numbers of bombs planted by the IS.

Also on Sunday, Iraqi and U.S.-led aircraft carried out airstrikes on IS positions in Mudhiej area east of Ramadi, killing at least 13 militants, the source added.

Meantime, air strikes and heavy clashes with IS militants continued near the town of Barwana, some 190 km west of Baghdad, as the security forces recaptured all the areas at the edge of the town. Dozens of IS militants were killed, the source said without giving further details.

During the past few days, Barwana was the scene of a series of attacks by IS militants which were repelled by security forces and local Sunni tribal fighters, with the support from the air.

In Salahudin province, an unmanned Iraqi plane mistakenly bombed a Shiite paramilitary unit, known as Hashd Shaabi, at al-Salam village north of the provincial capital city Tikrit, some 170 km north of Baghdad. Nine members of the unit were killed and 13 others injured, the provincial operations command said in a statement.

Related:

Iraqi PM says Baghdad conducts 60 pct of sorties against IS, asks again Turkish troops to leave

BAGHDAD, Jan. 9 (Xinhua) -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Saturday said that more than 60 percent of sorties in the battles against the Islamic State (IS) militant group were carried out by the Iraqi air force conducted.

In his speech at the ceremony of 94th anniversary of the Police Day, Abadi said "during the last year, Iraqi air force fought Daesh (IS group in Arabic) and our pilots risked their lives, and I can say that maybe 60 percent of the sorties have been conducted by the Iraqi air force, but still about 40 percent of the sorties we need the coalition (led by Washington) aircraft to cooperate with us."Full Story

U.S.-led coalition says IS loses 40 percent of land in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Jan. 5 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic State (IS) has lost 40 percent of its occupied territory in Iraq, while the Iraqi security forces retook an area near the town of Haditha in the western province of Anbar, the U.S.-led anti-IS coalition said on Tuesday.

Besides Iraq, the IS has also lost about 20 percent of its controlled area in Syria, the coalition spokesman, Col. Steve Warren, said in a press briefing in Baghdad. "Taking together Iraq and Syria, they lost 30 percent of the territory they once held."Full Story

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011103261349957241