BUCHAREST, Oct. 31 (Xinhua) -- Romanian General Prosecutor's Office announced Saturday to take over the case of the nightclub fire from the Bucharest local office, given the complex circumstances and the very serious consequences of the tragedy.
General Prosecutor Tiberiu Nitu announced upon visiting the fire site that prosecutors have already begun investigating at the "Colectiv" club in downtown Bucharest where a fierce fire killed 27 people and wounded more than 180.
Nitu declared that the investigation was for first degree murder and criminal damage.
According to him, everything was carbonized inside the club, but forensic experts can still find evidence.
No suspect has been detained so far, the general prosecutor stated.
The General Prosecutor's Office explained in a press release on Saturday it has relieved the Bucharest Tribunal prosecutors because the circumstances of the fire were complex, the consequences are very serious, the criminal investigation involves many acts and central authorities, and additional logistics are necessary.
The nightclub fire late Friday was the most serious accident in public places in Romania for decades. The death toll could increase given the seriousness of many wounded, Secretary of State of the Interior Ministry Raed Arafat told the press on Saturday.
According to Arafat, 184 were transported to hospital for treatment while 146 remain admitted for further treatment. Those who remained hospitalized are moderate to severe burn injuries, including a number of wounded in critical condition.
A total of 10 injuries at the Hospital for Plastic Surgery are in serious condition, according to the hospital.
The fire was started by a spark when pyrotechnic effects were used during a concert at the nightclub called Colectiv, lighting sponges on a pillar, witnesses said.
Authorities still can not confirm how many people were in the club when the fire burst out, but the estimated number has already doubled over the original claim of 200 people.
The club's Facebook page says the concert marked the launch of an album by pop band Goodbye to Gravity.
The organizers had announced they would stage a custom light show as well as a pyrotechnical display at the event.