Death toll increases to 27 in nightclub fire in downtown Bucharest

English.news.cn   2015-10-31 17:51:05

BUCHAREST, Oct. 31 (Xinhua) -- The death toll increased to 27 in the nightclub fire late Friday in downtown Bucharest, announced official of the Interior Ministry early Saturday.

"This is an unprecedented tragedy," said Secretary of State at the Interior Ministry Raed Arafat, fearing that the death toll could grow.

As many as 155 injured were admitted into different hospitals in Bucharest, announced Arafat who heads the Department for Emergency Situations in the Interior Ministry.

"I am shocked and profoundly saddened by the tragic event," stated President Klaus Iohannis in a Facebook post, stressing that "It is a very sad moment for us all, for our nation and for me personally."

Fireworks during a play caused the tragedy, said a witness.

Pyrotechnic effects were set off at the edge of the stage during a concert, but a spark lit sponges on a pillar and started the fire, according to witnesses.

"The evacuation of the club was over," said Interior Minister Gabriel Oprea, who is also deputy prime minister.

According to the Interior Ministry, the fire started at around 23:00 in a nightclub named Colectiv.

According to the Facebook page of the club, the club was to play host on Friday evening to the launching of an album by band Goodbye to Gravity.

The organizers announced they would stage a custom light show, as well as a pyrotechnical display, at the event.

It is believed that some 200 young people were in the club when the fire broke out. No foreigners were reported so far among the dead or wounded.

Editor: Luan
Related News
Xinhuanet

Death toll increases to 27 in nightclub fire in downtown Bucharest

English.news.cn 2015-10-31 17:51:05

BUCHAREST, Oct. 31 (Xinhua) -- The death toll increased to 27 in the nightclub fire late Friday in downtown Bucharest, announced official of the Interior Ministry early Saturday.

"This is an unprecedented tragedy," said Secretary of State at the Interior Ministry Raed Arafat, fearing that the death toll could grow.

As many as 155 injured were admitted into different hospitals in Bucharest, announced Arafat who heads the Department for Emergency Situations in the Interior Ministry.

"I am shocked and profoundly saddened by the tragic event," stated President Klaus Iohannis in a Facebook post, stressing that "It is a very sad moment for us all, for our nation and for me personally."

Fireworks during a play caused the tragedy, said a witness.

Pyrotechnic effects were set off at the edge of the stage during a concert, but a spark lit sponges on a pillar and started the fire, according to witnesses.

"The evacuation of the club was over," said Interior Minister Gabriel Oprea, who is also deputy prime minister.

According to the Interior Ministry, the fire started at around 23:00 in a nightclub named Colectiv.

According to the Facebook page of the club, the club was to play host on Friday evening to the launching of an album by band Goodbye to Gravity.

The organizers announced they would stage a custom light show, as well as a pyrotechnical display, at the event.

It is believed that some 200 young people were in the club when the fire broke out. No foreigners were reported so far among the dead or wounded.

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011100001347696661