Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Refugee  AIIB  Syria  IS  V-Day parade  

Navy chief "deeply concerned" over U.S. patrol ship in S.China Sea

English.news.cn   2015-10-30 13:01:36

BEIJING, Oct. 30 (Xinhua) -- Top China and U.S. naval commanders held video talks on Thursday, two days after a U.S. destroyer patrolled the South China Sea, with the Chinese side expressing "deep concern."

"Such dangerous and provocative acts have threatened China's sovereignty and security and harmed regional peace and stability," Admiral Wu Shengli of the People's Liberation Army's Navy said during talks with his U.S.-counterpart Admiral John Richardson.

Wu warned that China will "have to take all necessary measures to safeguard sovereignty and security" if the United States persists going its own way and ignoring China's concern.

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. destroyer USS Lassen entered waters near Zhubi Reef without the permission of the Chinese government, despite repeated opposition and representation from China, said Wu, a member of the Central Military Commission.

Considering the big picture for Sino-U.S. relations, Chinese Naval ships warned the U.S. destroyer several times following the Code for Unplanned Encounters at Sea (CUES). The warnings were ignored by the U.S. ship and the Chinese navy was "deeply concerned," Wu said.

Wu said it is a well-known fact and the country's consistent stance that China has "irrefutable" sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and its adjacent waters. China's island construction in the area has been conducted on its own territory and is a matter within the scope of Chinese sovereignty.

"It is reasonable and legal and does not target or affect any other countries. It will not influence the freedom of navigation and flight enjoyed by other countries," he said.

"Freedom of navigation in the South China Sea has not had a problem in the past and will not have one now or in the future."

Such a principle does not provide a pretext or privilege for any nation to harm others' sovereignty and security, he said.

Wu said the United States should not force other countries to accept its proposal and must not infringe upon other country's interests in the name of maintaining freedom of navigation.

Related:

China Headlines: U.S. ship patrolling in South China Sea counterproductive

BEIJING, Oct. 28 (Xinhua) -- Though the United States insists that it won't take positions on the South China Sea issue, all of its actions seem to be targeting China - a naval destroyer sailing within 12 nautical miles off China's Nansha islands is the latest example.

An Associated Press report quoted a U.S. defense department official as saying that "we will fly, sail, and operate anywhere in the world that international law allows." Full story

Chinese ambassador slams U.S. provocation in South China Sea

WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese ambassador to the United States Tuesday slammed a U.S. warship's sailing within 12 nautical miles of Chinese islands in South China Sea as a serious provocation that has exposed the absurdity and hypocrisy of the U.S. position on the South China Sea issue.

Cui Tiankai was reacting to the U.S. destroyer USS Lassen's intrusion earlier Tuesday. China has officially lodged a strong protest to the U.S. government over the provocative move. Full story

Beijing summons U.S. ambassador over U.S. navy patrol

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui summoned U.S. Ambassador to China Max Baucus on Tuesday, lodging "serious representations" and expressing "strong discontent" over a U.S. warship patrol in waters near China's Nansha Islands in the South China Sea.

"This action by the United States threatens China's sovereignty and security interests and endangers the safety of personnel and facilities on the reef, which is a serious provocation," Zhang said.Full Story

China warns U.S. against making trouble in South China Sea

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi warned the U.S. not to "make trouble out of nothing" in the South China Sea on Tuesday.

Wang made the remarks during a seminar in Beijing when responding to a question on the U.S. Navy's intention of sending a warship within 12 nautical miles of China's islands in the sea.Full Story

China warns U.S. of "eventualities" in South China Sea

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese navy has warned that further forays by the U.S. naval vessel into the waters claimed by China in the South China Sea may "trigger eventualities."

Chinese navy spokesperson Liang Yang made the comment following a U.S. warship's entering waters near the Nansha Islands on Tuesday.Full Story

China lodges protest with U.S. on warship patrol in South China Sea

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry expressed "strong discontentment" and "resolute opposition" over a U.S. warship patrol near Zhubi Reef of China's Nansha Islands in the South China Sea on Tuesday.

The United States' actions threaten China's sovereignty and security interests, endanger the safety of personnel and facilities in the reef, and harm regional peace and stability, ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said in a statement.   Full story

 

Editor: Luan
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

Navy chief "deeply concerned" over U.S. patrol ship in S.China Sea

English.news.cn 2015-10-30 13:01:36

BEIJING, Oct. 30 (Xinhua) -- Top China and U.S. naval commanders held video talks on Thursday, two days after a U.S. destroyer patrolled the South China Sea, with the Chinese side expressing "deep concern."

"Such dangerous and provocative acts have threatened China's sovereignty and security and harmed regional peace and stability," Admiral Wu Shengli of the People's Liberation Army's Navy said during talks with his U.S.-counterpart Admiral John Richardson.

Wu warned that China will "have to take all necessary measures to safeguard sovereignty and security" if the United States persists going its own way and ignoring China's concern.

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. destroyer USS Lassen entered waters near Zhubi Reef without the permission of the Chinese government, despite repeated opposition and representation from China, said Wu, a member of the Central Military Commission.

Considering the big picture for Sino-U.S. relations, Chinese Naval ships warned the U.S. destroyer several times following the Code for Unplanned Encounters at Sea (CUES). The warnings were ignored by the U.S. ship and the Chinese navy was "deeply concerned," Wu said.

Wu said it is a well-known fact and the country's consistent stance that China has "irrefutable" sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and its adjacent waters. China's island construction in the area has been conducted on its own territory and is a matter within the scope of Chinese sovereignty.

"It is reasonable and legal and does not target or affect any other countries. It will not influence the freedom of navigation and flight enjoyed by other countries," he said.

"Freedom of navigation in the South China Sea has not had a problem in the past and will not have one now or in the future."

Such a principle does not provide a pretext or privilege for any nation to harm others' sovereignty and security, he said.

Wu said the United States should not force other countries to accept its proposal and must not infringe upon other country's interests in the name of maintaining freedom of navigation.

Related:

China Headlines: U.S. ship patrolling in South China Sea counterproductive

BEIJING, Oct. 28 (Xinhua) -- Though the United States insists that it won't take positions on the South China Sea issue, all of its actions seem to be targeting China - a naval destroyer sailing within 12 nautical miles off China's Nansha islands is the latest example.

An Associated Press report quoted a U.S. defense department official as saying that "we will fly, sail, and operate anywhere in the world that international law allows." Full story

Chinese ambassador slams U.S. provocation in South China Sea

WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese ambassador to the United States Tuesday slammed a U.S. warship's sailing within 12 nautical miles of Chinese islands in South China Sea as a serious provocation that has exposed the absurdity and hypocrisy of the U.S. position on the South China Sea issue.

Cui Tiankai was reacting to the U.S. destroyer USS Lassen's intrusion earlier Tuesday. China has officially lodged a strong protest to the U.S. government over the provocative move. Full story

Beijing summons U.S. ambassador over U.S. navy patrol

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui summoned U.S. Ambassador to China Max Baucus on Tuesday, lodging "serious representations" and expressing "strong discontent" over a U.S. warship patrol in waters near China's Nansha Islands in the South China Sea.

"This action by the United States threatens China's sovereignty and security interests and endangers the safety of personnel and facilities on the reef, which is a serious provocation," Zhang said.Full Story

China warns U.S. against making trouble in South China Sea

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi warned the U.S. not to "make trouble out of nothing" in the South China Sea on Tuesday.

Wang made the remarks during a seminar in Beijing when responding to a question on the U.S. Navy's intention of sending a warship within 12 nautical miles of China's islands in the sea.Full Story

China warns U.S. of "eventualities" in South China Sea

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese navy has warned that further forays by the U.S. naval vessel into the waters claimed by China in the South China Sea may "trigger eventualities."

Chinese navy spokesperson Liang Yang made the comment following a U.S. warship's entering waters near the Nansha Islands on Tuesday.Full Story

China lodges protest with U.S. on warship patrol in South China Sea

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry expressed "strong discontentment" and "resolute opposition" over a U.S. warship patrol near Zhubi Reef of China's Nansha Islands in the South China Sea on Tuesday.

The United States' actions threaten China's sovereignty and security interests, endanger the safety of personnel and facilities in the reef, and harm regional peace and stability, ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said in a statement.   Full story

 

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011100001347663031