Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Refugee  AIIB  Syria  IS  V-Day parade  

U.S. defense chief to visit Asia to discuss next phase of military's Asia rebalance

English.news.cn   2015-10-30 12:46:34

WASHINGTON, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter will start an eight-day trip to Asia Friday, during which he will discuss with allies and partners the next phase of the U.S. military's Asia rebalance, the Pentagon said Thursday.

Pentagon spokesman Jeff Davis told reporters that Carter will meet leaders from more than a dozen nations across East Asia and South Asia to help advance the next phase of the U.S. military's rebalance in the region by modernizing longtime alliances and building new partnerships.

Among a number of planned meetings, Carter will attend the 47th annual U.S.-Republic of Korea Security Consultative Meeting in Seoul, and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Defense Ministers Plus meeting in in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Davis said.

After the visit, Carter will travel to California to deliver a keynote address at the 3rd annual Reagan National Defense Forum at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, before returning to Washington.

In April, Carter said Washington was opening a new phase of its strategic "rebalance" toward Asia and the Pacific, which is "the defining region" for America's future.

The new phase of the rebalancing strategy, which has placed much emphasis on the deployment of high-tech weapons and strengthening U.S. military presence, has triggered concerns that it might fuel regional tensions.

Realted:

Navy chief "deeply concerned" over U.S. ship S.China Sea patrolling

BEIJING, Oct. 30 (Xinhua) -- Top China and U.S. naval commanders held video talks on Thursday two days after a U.S. destroyer patrolled in South China Sea, with the Chinese side expressing "deep concern."

Admiral Wu Shengli of the People's Liberation Army's Navy said, "Such dangerous and provocative acts have threatened China's sovereignty and security and harmed regional peace and stability," during talks with his U.S. counterpart, Admiral John Richardson. Full story >>>

Australia not to join U.S. operation in South China Sea: FM

CANBERRA, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- Australia has not been asked to join the United States in sailing warships near Chinese islands in the South China Sea and Australia has no plan to go beyond what it is doing there now, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said on Thursday.

"We have not been asked to join the United States and we have no plans to do other than what we already do," Bishop told media. Full story >>>

Experts say U.S. naval patrol in South China Sea detrimental to regional peace

BEIJING, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- A U.S. warship sailing in the waters near Chinese islands in the South China Sea constitutes a grave challenge to peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region, foreign policy experts and regional politics observers said.

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. destroyer USS Lassen entered waters near Zhubi Reef without the permission of the Chinese government. Full story >>>

Editor: xuxin
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

U.S. defense chief to visit Asia to discuss next phase of military's Asia rebalance

English.news.cn 2015-10-30 12:46:34

WASHINGTON, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter will start an eight-day trip to Asia Friday, during which he will discuss with allies and partners the next phase of the U.S. military's Asia rebalance, the Pentagon said Thursday.

Pentagon spokesman Jeff Davis told reporters that Carter will meet leaders from more than a dozen nations across East Asia and South Asia to help advance the next phase of the U.S. military's rebalance in the region by modernizing longtime alliances and building new partnerships.

Among a number of planned meetings, Carter will attend the 47th annual U.S.-Republic of Korea Security Consultative Meeting in Seoul, and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Defense Ministers Plus meeting in in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Davis said.

After the visit, Carter will travel to California to deliver a keynote address at the 3rd annual Reagan National Defense Forum at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, before returning to Washington.

In April, Carter said Washington was opening a new phase of its strategic "rebalance" toward Asia and the Pacific, which is "the defining region" for America's future.

The new phase of the rebalancing strategy, which has placed much emphasis on the deployment of high-tech weapons and strengthening U.S. military presence, has triggered concerns that it might fuel regional tensions.

Realted:

Navy chief "deeply concerned" over U.S. ship S.China Sea patrolling

BEIJING, Oct. 30 (Xinhua) -- Top China and U.S. naval commanders held video talks on Thursday two days after a U.S. destroyer patrolled in South China Sea, with the Chinese side expressing "deep concern."

Admiral Wu Shengli of the People's Liberation Army's Navy said, "Such dangerous and provocative acts have threatened China's sovereignty and security and harmed regional peace and stability," during talks with his U.S. counterpart, Admiral John Richardson. Full story >>>

Australia not to join U.S. operation in South China Sea: FM

CANBERRA, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- Australia has not been asked to join the United States in sailing warships near Chinese islands in the South China Sea and Australia has no plan to go beyond what it is doing there now, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said on Thursday.

"We have not been asked to join the United States and we have no plans to do other than what we already do," Bishop told media. Full story >>>

Experts say U.S. naval patrol in South China Sea detrimental to regional peace

BEIJING, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- A U.S. warship sailing in the waters near Chinese islands in the South China Sea constitutes a grave challenge to peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region, foreign policy experts and regional politics observers said.

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. destroyer USS Lassen entered waters near Zhubi Reef without the permission of the Chinese government. Full story >>>

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011100001347662881