Xinhuanet

China lodges protest with U.S. on warship patrol in South China Sea

English.news.cn 2015-10-27 15:05:37

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Foreign Ministry on Tuesday expressed "strong discontent" and "resolute opposition" over a U.S. warship patrol near Zhubi Reef, which is part of China's Nansha Islands in the South China Sea.

This action by the United States threatens China's sovereignty and security interests, endangers the safety of personnel and facilities in the reef, and harms regional peace and stability, ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said in a statement.

Lu urged the U.S. to "immediately correct its wrongdoing."

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. warship USS Lassen entered waters near Zhubi Reef without the permission of the Chinese government, according to Lu.

The U.S. warship was monitored, tracked and issued with warning, said the spokesperson, adding that China will continue to watch the situation and "do whatever is necessary."

Stressing that China's sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and its adjacent waters is "irrefutable," Lu said China is prepared to respond to any deliberate provocation by any country.

China respects other countries' freedom of navigation in accordance with international law, Lu said, however, China is firmly opposed to any action that harms China's sovereignty and security in the name of freedom.

The construction activities undertaken by China on its own territory is an internal affair and will not block the legal freedom of other countries, the spokesperson said.

The U.S. side should remember its commitment that it would take no position on territorial disputes, as this would damage China-U.S. ties and regional peace, said Lu.

Earlier Tuesday, Foreign Minister Wang Yi, in response to a question on the U.S. Navy's intention at a seminar, warned the U.S. not to "make trouble out of nothing."

"If it is true, we advise the U.S. to think twice before it takes any action," he said, urging them "not to act in an imprudent way and not to make trouble out of nothing."

[Editor: huaxia]
 
China lodges protest with U.S. on warship patrol in South China Sea
                 English.news.cn | 2015-10-27 15:05:37 | Editor: huaxia

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Foreign Ministry on Tuesday expressed "strong discontent" and "resolute opposition" over a U.S. warship patrol near Zhubi Reef, which is part of China's Nansha Islands in the South China Sea.

This action by the United States threatens China's sovereignty and security interests, endangers the safety of personnel and facilities in the reef, and harms regional peace and stability, ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said in a statement.

Lu urged the U.S. to "immediately correct its wrongdoing."

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. warship USS Lassen entered waters near Zhubi Reef without the permission of the Chinese government, according to Lu.

The U.S. warship was monitored, tracked and issued with warning, said the spokesperson, adding that China will continue to watch the situation and "do whatever is necessary."

Stressing that China's sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and its adjacent waters is "irrefutable," Lu said China is prepared to respond to any deliberate provocation by any country.

China respects other countries' freedom of navigation in accordance with international law, Lu said, however, China is firmly opposed to any action that harms China's sovereignty and security in the name of freedom.

The construction activities undertaken by China on its own territory is an internal affair and will not block the legal freedom of other countries, the spokesperson said.

The U.S. side should remember its commitment that it would take no position on territorial disputes, as this would damage China-U.S. ties and regional peace, said Lu.

Earlier Tuesday, Foreign Minister Wang Yi, in response to a question on the U.S. Navy's intention at a seminar, warned the U.S. not to "make trouble out of nothing."

"If it is true, we advise the U.S. to think twice before it takes any action," he said, urging them "not to act in an imprudent way and not to make trouble out of nothing."

分享
Opinion: U.S. provocative act in South China Sea breaks peaceful commitment
Commentary: U.S. provocative act in South China Sea breaks peaceful commitment
China warns U.S. against making trouble in South China Sea
China rejects U.S. report on int'l religious freedom
Voice: U.S. provocations threaten to militarize South China Sea
Chinese premier meets UN General Assembly president in Beijing
Chinese premier meets UN General Assembly president in Beijing
PLA anticraft artillery army launches live-fire drill at night
PLA anticraft artillery army launches live-fire drill at night
Forum on Maritime Silk Road initiative held in Cambodia
Forum on Maritime Silk Road initiative held in Cambodia
Autumn scenery of Red Leaf Valley in China's Jinan
Autumn scenery of Red Leaf Valley in China's Jinan
Death toll of earthquake rises to 115 in Afghanistan
Death toll of earthquake rises to 115 in Afghanistan
Rescue operation in full swing as death toll of Pakistan earthquake rises to 270
Rescue operation in full swing as death toll of Pakistan earthquake rises to 270
Bangladeshi policemen conduct security checks after Italian murder
Bangladeshi policemen conduct security checks after Italian murder
The Fading Glacier
The Fading Glacier
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011106041347549391