LAGOS, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) -- At least 27 people have been confirmed dead and 96 others injured in another suicide attack which hit a mosque in Nigeria's city of Yola, capital of the northeastern state of Adamawa, an official said on Friday.
Spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Sani Datti, who confirmed this to Xinhua on phone, said the injured victims were evacuated to Federal Medical Center, Yola and Specialist Hospital Jimeta, Adamawa state.
The attack came barely 12 hours after a deadly bomb attack targeted a mosque in the neighboring Borno State on Friday.
The loud blast was heard when many worshippers were still around the mosque after the weekly congregational prayer.
It is unclear the attack was carried out either by a male or female suicide bomber, said an unnamed security source, adding security operatives have cordoned off the area and rescue operation has commenced.
Suicide attacks targeting mosques in northern Nigeria have been frequent since last week. The militant group Boko Haram was blamed for the attacks.
Earlier on Friday, a suicide attack on a mosque in Borno State left at least six people dead and more than 17 injured. The explosion was carried out by a suspected lone suicide bomber whose two accomplices escaped when some vigilant members of the community accosted them on their suspicious movements, said a resident identified as Manaseh Adamu.
Last week Thursday, at least 29 people, mainly worshipers, were killed after two male suicide bombers hit the main mosque in Molai axis of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered military chiefs to end the insurgency of Boko Haram in the most populous African country by December. But local people are doubting the certainty of the deadline given to rout out the ruthless group as more suicide attacks had taken place in parts of Nigeria since the order was given in August.