WASHINGTON, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- The Pentagon said on Thursday keeping 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017 would be enough, as U.S. President Barack Obama broke his promise to bring all U.S. troops home before leaving office.
"We do look at it as enough. We did a lot of homework on this," said U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter at a briefing.
"We are adjusting our presence based on conditions on the ground to give the United States and our allies the capability to sustain a robust counterterrorism platform, denying a safe haven for terrorists and violent extremist organizations."
Obama announced plans Thursday to keep 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017, and to maintain the current 9,800 forces through "most of 2016."
Calling the new plan "modest but meaningful," Obama said the U.S. troops in Afghanistan will remain focused on training Afghans and counterterrorism operations against remnants of al-Qaida.
Echoing Obama, Carter said counterterrorism would be a part of the "enduring mission" in Afghanistan.
"Whatever it takes to protect our country and make sure that Afghanistan doesn't again become a platform from which terrorism arises," said Carter.
Obama had previously planed to reduce the current level of 9,800 U.S. troops in Afghanistan to around 5,500 by the end of 2015 and withdraw all troops by the end of 2016 when Obama's presidency comes to an end.
Earlier this year, after a meeting with visiting Afghan President Ghani here, Obama announced no reduction of the current 9,800 U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan will occur through the end of 2015.
Related:
Obama breaks his promise to end Afghanistan war
WASHINGTON, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama announced plans Thursday to keep 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017, and to maintain the current 9,800 U.S. force through most of 2016, retreating from his campaign pledge to pull troops from Afghanistan during his tenure.
"First, I have decided to maintain our current posture of 9,800 troops in Afghanistan through most of next year, 2016," Obama made the announcement at the White House, flanked by Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joseph Dunford. Full story >>>
U.S. to pay condolence payments to victims of airstrikes on Afghan hospital
WASHINGTON, Oct. 10 (Xinhua) -- The United States will make "condolence payments" to the civilian victims injured and killed in the deadly airstrike on a hospital run by an aid agency in Kunduz, Afghanistan last week, the Pentagon said here on Saturday.
"The Department of Defense believes it is important to address the consequences of the tragic incident at the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan," the Pentagon said in a statement. Full story >>>
Pentagon says Afghans ask for airstrikes in Kunduz that kills 22 civilians
WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 (Xinhua) -- The Pentagon said Monday Afghan forces had asked for U.S. airstrikes which may have killed 22 civilians over the weekend in Kunduz, Afghanistan, amid outcry for an independent investigation into the incident.
"We have now learned that on Oct. 3, Afghan forces advised that they were taking fire from enemy positions and asked for air support from U.S. forces," said John Campbell, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, at a Pentagon briefing, adding that initial reports of U.S. forces in Afghanistan asking for air support were incorrect. Full story >>>











