Africa  

Suicide bombings hit mosque in NE Nigeria, casualties unknown

English.news.cn   2015-10-16 06:16:55            

ABUJA, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- Two suicide blasts hit a mosque on Thursday on the outskirts of Nigeria's Maiduguri city, capital of the northeastern state of Borno, witnesses said.

Two suicide bombers rocked the mosque in Molai area of the restive Maiduguri city, killing many people, mainly worshippers and residents nearby, a witness, identified as Abdulmalik Usman, told Xinhua.

Casualty figures were not yet known as rescue operation was still ongoing at the blasts site.

An unnamed security source said the blasts occurred as many Muslim worshippers gathered for evening prayers at the mosque.

Security operatives have arrived at the scene and cordoned off the area. No official has so far made any comment on the devastating attack.

The Thursday incident was the second in a week to hit Maiduguri city after multiple blasts killed at least eight people at another location.

The militant group Boko Haram was blamed for the attacks. The group, fighting against the government to create an Islamic state, has carried out waves of bombings in the northern region and capital city of Nigeria over the years.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered military chiefs to end the insurgency of Boko Haram in the most populous African country by December.

Editor: yan
Related News
Home >> Africa            
Xinhuanet

Suicide bombings hit mosque in NE Nigeria, casualties unknown

English.news.cn 2015-10-16 06:16:55

ABUJA, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- Two suicide blasts hit a mosque on Thursday on the outskirts of Nigeria's Maiduguri city, capital of the northeastern state of Borno, witnesses said.

Two suicide bombers rocked the mosque in Molai area of the restive Maiduguri city, killing many people, mainly worshippers and residents nearby, a witness, identified as Abdulmalik Usman, told Xinhua.

Casualty figures were not yet known as rescue operation was still ongoing at the blasts site.

An unnamed security source said the blasts occurred as many Muslim worshippers gathered for evening prayers at the mosque.

Security operatives have arrived at the scene and cordoned off the area. No official has so far made any comment on the devastating attack.

The Thursday incident was the second in a week to hit Maiduguri city after multiple blasts killed at least eight people at another location.

The militant group Boko Haram was blamed for the attacks. The group, fighting against the government to create an Islamic state, has carried out waves of bombings in the northern region and capital city of Nigeria over the years.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered military chiefs to end the insurgency of Boko Haram in the most populous African country by December.

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011105521347179151