Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Refugee  AIIB  Syria  IS  V-Day parade  

New finding shows persistence of virus in people recovering from Ebola: UN spokesman

English.news.cn   2015-10-16 04:06:34

UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- Preliminary results of a study on persistence of Ebola virus in body fluids showed that some men still produce semen samples that test positive nine months after the onset of symptoms, Farhan Haq, the deputy UN spokesman, told reporters here Thursday.

"The report, published yesterday, provides the first results of a long-term study being jointly conducted by the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation, Sierra Leone Ministry of Defence, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention," he said at a daily news briefing here.

Sierra Leone is one of the three West African countries hardest hit by the Ebola epidemic. Ebola was first reported in December 2013 in Guinea, which shares the borders with Liberia and Sierra Leone. A total of 27, 609 cases and 11,261 deaths had been reported worldwide as of July 5.

"Better understanding of viral persistence in semen is important for supporting survivors to recover and to move forward with their lives," Haq said.

"Until more is known, the more than 8,000 male Ebola survivors across Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone need appropriate education, counselling and regular testing so they know whether Ebola virus persists in their semen and the measures they should take to prevent potential exposure of their partners," he said.

"The latest findings come as WHO reported there were no confirmed cases of Ebola in West Africa in the week to 11 October, making it the second consecutive week with zero confirmed cases," he said. "But WHO also notes that, a patient who was reported as a case in the United Kingdom on 29 December 2014, and who later recovered, was hospitalized last week after developing late Ebola-related complications."

"All of the men who were tested in the first three months after their illness began were positive (9/9; 100 percent). More than half of men (26/40; 65 percent) who were tested between four to six months after their illness began were positive, while one quarter (11/46; 24 percent) of those tested between seven to nine months after their illness began also tested positive," the study showed.

"It is still not known how long the virus can persist in semen, but this study will yield more information about how long it takes for men to clear Ebola virus from semen," WHO said.

WHO said it currently recommends that male Ebola survivors should be offered semen testing at three months after onset of disease, and then, for those who test positive, every month thereafter until their semen tests negative for virus twice with an interval of one week between tests.

"Until such time as their semen has twice tested negative for Ebola, survivors should abstain from sex or use condoms, practice good hand and personal hygiene by immediately and thoroughly washing with soap and water after any physical contact with semen, including after masturbation," the health agency said.

The study will be widened to examine viral persistence in other body fluids, in both women and men, post-Ebola.

"A growing volume of data from careful clinical observation and testing of people who have recovered from acute Ebola virus disease indicates that the Ebola virus can persist at various sites in the body for many months in some people," WHO said. "Such sites include the inside of the eye, semen, amniotic fluid, the placenta, breast milk and the central nervous system."

Editor: yan
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

New finding shows persistence of virus in people recovering from Ebola: UN spokesman

English.news.cn 2015-10-16 04:06:34

UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- Preliminary results of a study on persistence of Ebola virus in body fluids showed that some men still produce semen samples that test positive nine months after the onset of symptoms, Farhan Haq, the deputy UN spokesman, told reporters here Thursday.

"The report, published yesterday, provides the first results of a long-term study being jointly conducted by the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation, Sierra Leone Ministry of Defence, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention," he said at a daily news briefing here.

Sierra Leone is one of the three West African countries hardest hit by the Ebola epidemic. Ebola was first reported in December 2013 in Guinea, which shares the borders with Liberia and Sierra Leone. A total of 27, 609 cases and 11,261 deaths had been reported worldwide as of July 5.

"Better understanding of viral persistence in semen is important for supporting survivors to recover and to move forward with their lives," Haq said.

"Until more is known, the more than 8,000 male Ebola survivors across Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone need appropriate education, counselling and regular testing so they know whether Ebola virus persists in their semen and the measures they should take to prevent potential exposure of their partners," he said.

"The latest findings come as WHO reported there were no confirmed cases of Ebola in West Africa in the week to 11 October, making it the second consecutive week with zero confirmed cases," he said. "But WHO also notes that, a patient who was reported as a case in the United Kingdom on 29 December 2014, and who later recovered, was hospitalized last week after developing late Ebola-related complications."

"All of the men who were tested in the first three months after their illness began were positive (9/9; 100 percent). More than half of men (26/40; 65 percent) who were tested between four to six months after their illness began were positive, while one quarter (11/46; 24 percent) of those tested between seven to nine months after their illness began also tested positive," the study showed.

"It is still not known how long the virus can persist in semen, but this study will yield more information about how long it takes for men to clear Ebola virus from semen," WHO said.

WHO said it currently recommends that male Ebola survivors should be offered semen testing at three months after onset of disease, and then, for those who test positive, every month thereafter until their semen tests negative for virus twice with an interval of one week between tests.

"Until such time as their semen has twice tested negative for Ebola, survivors should abstain from sex or use condoms, practice good hand and personal hygiene by immediately and thoroughly washing with soap and water after any physical contact with semen, including after masturbation," the health agency said.

The study will be widened to examine viral persistence in other body fluids, in both women and men, post-Ebola.

"A growing volume of data from careful clinical observation and testing of people who have recovered from acute Ebola virus disease indicates that the Ebola virus can persist at various sites in the body for many months in some people," WHO said. "Such sites include the inside of the eye, semen, amniotic fluid, the placenta, breast milk and the central nervous system."

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011105521347178231