OUAGADOUGOU, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- Burkina Faso will hold its presidential and legislative elections on Nov. 29, 2015, an official source said Wednesday.
"The cabinet adopted a decree allowing the holding of the first round of presidential elections on Sunday, Nov. 29," a statement issued after a cabinet meeting in Ouagadougou said.
The elections, which were scheduled for Oct. 11, were postponed due to a failed coup in mid-September.
Over 5.5 million Burkina Faso nationals will be expected to cast their votes to choose the country's president and members of parliament.
Earlier, political actors had met with the transition president to propose a date for the elections in which 14 candidates will contest, including two women.
The candidature of all the confidants of former President Blaise Compaore was rejected on the basis that they supported last year's constitutional amendments aimed at extending Compaore's regime.
The transition authorities, briefly overthrown by the coup, have been governing the country after Compaore was forced to resign through a popular uprising due to his attempt to amend the Constitution.
On Sept. 16, four days before the start of the election campaigns, soldiers from the former Presidential Security Regiment who are loyal to the former president, stormed into the Presidential Palace and held Transition President Michel Kafando and members of government hostage, before announcing a coup a day later.
Spontaneous mobilization of the regular army helped to end the coup.
Eleven charges were brought against the key perpetrators of the coup who include Gen. Gilbert Diendere and former Foreign Minister Djibril Bassole.