SYDNEY, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- Two men have been arrested and charged in relation to the attack that killed police accountant Curtis Cheng in an act of terror in Sydney almost two weeks ago.
"This is the beginning and not the end. There is much more to be done," New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione told reporters in Sydney on Thursday.
Talal Alameddine, 22, was arrested on Thursday morning by detectives from the middle east organized crime squad and the joint counter terrorism team, charged with firearm and hindering police offences.
Alameddine was detained as part of anti-terror raids in Sydney's west last Wednesday that were in connection with the "act of terror" that occurred in early October, however he was released later that evening.
Authorities confirmed an 18-year-old teenager who has been in police custody since anti-terror raids in Sydney's west last week has been charged with a range of terrorism related offences that carry a sentence of life imprisonment.
"Those matters, as you would understand, are particularly important to the NSW police force as we lost one of our own," Scipione said.