LISBON, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- Incumbent Protuguese Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho said here on Wednesday that there will be "no more pretend meetings" with the Socialist Party (PS) on forming a new government.
Passos Coelho, leader of the Social Democratic Party (PSD), said that it was time for the PS to recognize that they "lost the elections."
He said that there had been two meetings with PS leader Antonio Costa and there had been no result, adding that no more meetings will take place until leaders of the PS bring forth a serious counterproposal.
"Maybe it's time to put an end to what the country has been witnessing," he said.
PS President Carlos Cesar responded by saying "we are not afraid to break from the coalition."
The PS has been in talks with the leftist parties including the Left Bloc and the Portuguese Communist Party in order to form an alternative government.
The coalition comprising PSD and CDS-PP won most votes in the Oct. 4 general elections but lost an outright majority in the 230-seat parliament.