Africa  

9 civilians killed in rebel attacks in eastern DR Congo

English.news.cn   2015-10-14 17:40:32            

BENI, DR Congo, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- At least 9 civilians were killed and several others injured in two separate attacks carried out by suspected members of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels, a Ugandan rebel group operating in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo).

The attacks that occurred on Monday night, targeted civilians in Mukoko and Tenambo villages which are situated not far from Beni town.

"The attacks were launched at 6 p.m. local time on Monday in Mukoko and Tenambo villages," Thomas D'Aquin, the president of civil society groups in Beni told Xinhua.

He said another body was found on Tuesday morning besides the eight bodies that were collected just after the attacks. He expressed fears that the death toll could rise as the search for more bodies in the two villages was still ongoing.

D'Aquin said some officers from the DR Congo Armed Forces were equally killed in the attacks.

"Some soldiers who had been called to rescue the population in these villages were shot and killed by the assailants, but we are still waiting for an official statement," he added.

The UN Mission in DR Congo, MONUSCO, said it had been informed about the attacks, but said it would issue a comprehensive statement later after receiving sufficient information.

North Kivu civil society groups have attributed the attacks to the Ugandan ADF rebels.

ADF rebels have multiplied attacks using machetes against civilians in eastern DR Congo, leaving over 350 people dead this year, most of them women and children.

Editor: Shen Qing
Related News
Home >> Africa            
Xinhuanet

9 civilians killed in rebel attacks in eastern DR Congo

English.news.cn 2015-10-14 17:40:32

BENI, DR Congo, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- At least 9 civilians were killed and several others injured in two separate attacks carried out by suspected members of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels, a Ugandan rebel group operating in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo).

The attacks that occurred on Monday night, targeted civilians in Mukoko and Tenambo villages which are situated not far from Beni town.

"The attacks were launched at 6 p.m. local time on Monday in Mukoko and Tenambo villages," Thomas D'Aquin, the president of civil society groups in Beni told Xinhua.

He said another body was found on Tuesday morning besides the eight bodies that were collected just after the attacks. He expressed fears that the death toll could rise as the search for more bodies in the two villages was still ongoing.

D'Aquin said some officers from the DR Congo Armed Forces were equally killed in the attacks.

"Some soldiers who had been called to rescue the population in these villages were shot and killed by the assailants, but we are still waiting for an official statement," he added.

The UN Mission in DR Congo, MONUSCO, said it had been informed about the attacks, but said it would issue a comprehensive statement later after receiving sufficient information.

North Kivu civil society groups have attributed the attacks to the Ugandan ADF rebels.

ADF rebels have multiplied attacks using machetes against civilians in eastern DR Congo, leaving over 350 people dead this year, most of them women and children.

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011100001347136181