
The reconstructed cockpit of flight MH17 is on display during a press conference to release the investigation report on the cause of its crash, at the Gilze-Rijen air base, the Netherlands, on Oct. 13, 2015. The crash of flight MH17 on 17 July last year was caused by the detonation of a 9N314M-type warhead launched from eastern Ukraine using a Buk missile system, said the investigation report published Tuesday by the Dutch Safety Board (DSB). (Xinhua/Sylvia Lederer)
GILZE-RIJEN AIR BASE, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- The crash of flight MH17 on 17 July last year was caused by the detonation of a 9N314M-type warhead launched from eastern Ukraine using a Buk missile system, said the investigation report published Tuesday by the Dutch Safety Board (DSB).
"The in-flight breakup of the aircraft near the Ukrainian/Russian border was caused by the detonation of a warhead close to the left front of the plane," Safety Board director Tjibbe Joustra said. "The weapon used was a warhead model 9N314M a missile 9M38 series, as installed on the Buk surface-to-air missile system."
"Additional forensic is needed to determine the location of the launch," Joustra added. "That is outside the mandate of the Dutch Safety Board."
The DSB led the investigation on the cause of the crash and Joustra made public the long-awaited findings during a presentation at Gilze-Rijen Airbase on Tuesday.
The investigation has shown that flight MH17 progressed normally up to the moment when the aeroplane was flying over the eastern part of Ukraine. At 13:20 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) a 9N314M warhead, launched by a Buk surface-to-air missile system from a 320-square-km area in the eastern part of Ukraine, detonated to the left and above the cockpit, according to the investigation report.
The forward section of the aircraft was penetrated by hundreds of high-energy objects coming from the warhead. As a result of the impact and the subsequent blast, the three crew members in the cockpit were killed immediately and the aeroplane broke up in the air, the investigation report said. Wreckage from the aeroplane was distributed over various sites within an area of 50 square km. All 298 occupants were killed.
The DSB explained that it has established the cause of the crash on the basis of several sources. "For example, the weapon system used was identified on the basis of, among other things, the damage pattern on the wreckage, the fragments found in the wreckage and in the bodies of crew members, and the way in which the aircraft broke up. The findings are supported by the data on the flight recorders; the Cockpit Voice Recorder picked up a sound peak during the final milliseconds," said the report.
In addition, traces of paint on a number of missile fragments found match the paint on parts of a missile recovered from the area by DSB. Other potential causes, such as an explosion inside the aeroplane or an air-to-air missile, have been investigated and excluded. No scenario other than a Buk surface-to-air missile can explain this combination of facts.
The DSB also concluded that "Ukraine had sufficient reason to close the entire airspace over the eastern part of Ukraine as a precaution." On the day of the accident, on military grounds flying at lower altitudes was restricted.
"The current system of responsibilities with respect to flying over conflict areas is inadequate... When flying over a conflict area, an additional risk assessment is necessary," noted the report.
The DSB called on all parties involved in aviation to exchange more information about conflict areas and potential threats to civil aviation.
Prior to the official publication of the final reports, around 600 relatives were informed about the conclusions of the investigation during a closed information meeting at the World Forum in The Hague. According to the relatives, the reports stated that occupants of the Malaysian Airlines flight lost consciousness seconds after the impact of a missile, with the cockpit crew being killed instantly.
The Boeing 777 Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crashed in eastern Ukraine on July 17 last year on its way from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur. All 298 people on board died.
On Sept. 9 last year the DSB already issued its first preliminary report, stating the crash had an external cause, probably as the result of structural damage caused by a large number of high-energy objects that penetrated the aircraft from outside.
Related:
Kremlin slams lack of cooperation in MH17 crash investigation
MOSCOW, Oct. 12 (Xinhua) -- Dutch investigators of the Malaysian MH17 plane crash have repeatedly refused to cooperate with Russian experts, a Kremlin spokesman said Monday.Full Story
New human remains MH17 victims found
THE HAGUE, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- Local authorities in eastern Ukraine collected new human remains of victims of the MH17 flight disaster, the Dutch Ministry of Security and Justice announced on Friday.
Mortal remains and personal belongings were found in the vicinity of a burned site, a location where large fire has raged, near Hrabove, where flight MH17 came down. The mayors of the surrounding districts have collected all material and safely secured it over the past few months.Full Story
Dutch investigators find Buk missile parts possibly connected with MH17 crash
THE HAGUE, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) -- Several parts from a possible Buk surface-to-air missile system have been found in the disaster area of the MH17 crash in eastern Ukraine, the Dutch Safety Board (DSB) and the Dutch national public prosecutor announced in a joint press release Tuesday.Full Story










