WASHINGTON, Oct. 9 (Xinhua) -- Russia and the United States are expected to hold military-to-military talks on Syria, where both countries have been conducting airstrikes against Islamic State (IS) militants, as soon as this weekend, the Pentagon said Friday.
"The Department of Defense has received a formal response from the Russian Ministry of Defense regarding DOD's proposal to ensure safe air operations over Syria," Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said. "Department leaders are reviewing the Russian response and talks are likely to take place as soon as this weekend."
The response came as Russian's airstrikes in Syria that began last week had raised U.S. concerns that possible clashing in the air could happen, as the U.S.-led coalition continued to combat the IS in Syria.
The U.S. also accused Russia of conducting the crowded and sometimes uncoordinated air raids in Syria, saying Russia is mainly striking Syria's anti-government rebels in support of its ally, President Bashar al-Assad.
However, Moscow has denied such allegations, saying that it has no political agenda in Syria and that its bombing of the IS positions is in line with the U.S. priority.
The first round of talks, held on Oct. 1, between defense officials in Moscow and Washington to discuss how to de-conflict air operations between the two countries brought little result, according to U.S. media.
The U.S. State Department said Tuesday Washington is prepared to resume de-confliction talks with the Kremlin on military operations in Syria, as the risk of a potential clash between U.S. and Russia aircraft increased.
"We've seen over the last couple of days the danger that exists on the ground of accidental incursions," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said at a regular briefing. "So we need to absolutely engage with Russia on de-conflicting."
Related:
U.S. pauses program to train and equip Syrian rebels
WASHINGTON, Oct. 9 (Xinhua) -- The Obama administration announced on Friday it would halt its botched train-and-equip program to build a Syrian rebel force and focus on supporting forces already engaged in the fighting against the Islamic State (IS).
According to Christine Warmouth, under secretary of defense for policy, the Obama administration would from now on provide equipment and weapons for existing Syrian rebel groups whose leaders have passed through "the same rigorous vetting process that we have used in the original program." Full story
Russia dismisses U.S. refusal to share intelligence in campaign in Syria
MOSCOW, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- The reluctance of the United States to share intelligence on Syria will not hamper Russia's operations in the war-torn country as Moscow has sufficient information from other sources, a Russian official said Thursday.
"We get this information from sources in a number of other countries, coordinating it with our partners within the Baghdad Information Center," said Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov. Full story
Top U.S. officials warn of "gaps" in screening Syrian refugees
WASHINGTON, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- Top officials of the Obama administration on Thursday cautioned that "gaps" remain in their ability to screen Syrian refugees whom the White House had pledged to accept.
"My concern is there are certain gaps ... in the data available to us," said James Comey, Director of Federal Bureau of Investigation, at a congressional hearing. Full story
Russia-backed Syria army on broad offensive against rebel-held areas
DAMASCUS, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- Syria's army chief of staff, Gen. Abdullah Ayoub, said Thursday that the military has unleashed a broad offensive against rebel-held areas across the country, buoyed by the Russian air support, according to the state news agency SANA.
"Today the Syrian armed forces have started a wide-scale offensive with the aim of eliminating the terrorists' positions and liberate the areas and towns that have suffered from terrorism and its woes and crimes," Ayoub said in a statement. Full story
China backs political solution to Syrian crisis: FM
BEIJING, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- China has always backed a political solution to the Syrian crisis, and called for a new Geneva conference on Syria, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Thursday.
"We have noticed Russia said the military campaign is at the invitation of the Syrian government and aims to combat terrorism there," Hua said at a press briefing when asked if China backs Russia's air strikes against the Islamic State (IS) terrorists in Syria since Sept. 30. Full story











