KABUL, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- The Doctors Without Borders, also known as Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), on Thursday repeated its call for an independent international committee to probe an airstrike against its hospital allegedly conducted by U.S. forces in northern Afghan province of Kunduz, saying the impartial probe was absolutely necessary for the incident.
The MSF General Director Christopher Stokes told reporters here that the aid group is calling for an International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission to ensure maximum transparency and accountability on the Kunduz incident.
On Saturday, 22 people, including 12 MSF staff and 10 patients, were killed and about 37 others wounded after the deadly attack struck the aid group's hospital in the militancy-hit city.
While investigations by the U.S., NATO and the Afghan government were underway, the MSF urged earlier that "more are needed." The aid group wants a fact-finding mission to determine whether the attack violated the Geneva Conventions.
Related:
U.S. ignores calls on independent probe into Afghan hospital attack
WASHINGTON, Oct. 7 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. State Department on Wednesday said the country is capable of investigations on its bombing of a hospital in Afghanistan.
"The Secretary (Ashton Carter) prefers the Defense Department to investigate this. The Secretary has the utmost trust and confidence in the Defense Department's ongoing investigation," State Department spokesman John Kirby said at a daily press briefing. Full story >>>
Red Cross supportive of activation of IHFFC in Kunduz hospital attack investigation
GENEVA, Oct. 7 (Xinhua) -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on Wednesday said it welcomes greater efforts to respect international humanitarian law in the investigation of the air strikes on a hospital in Kunduz of Afghanistan.
The remarks was made in reaction to a call by charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) for the activation of the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission (IHFFC), a body set up under an as yet unused additional protocol to the Geneva Conventions. Full story >>>
U.S. military commander admits Afghan hospital "mistakenly struck" by airstrike
WASHINGTON, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan John Campbell acknowledged Tuesday a U.S. airstrike "mistakenly" struck a hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, Saturday that killed 22 civilians.
"A hospital was mistakenly struck. We would never intentionally target a protected medical facility," said Campbell at a congressional hearing here amid protests from Doctors Without Borders, an aid agency which runs the hospital hit by the U.S. airstrike. Full story >>>
