Xinhuanet

Afghan forces reopen supplying road to mount pressure on Taliban in Kunduz city

English.news.cn 2015-10-06 19:51:08

Local residents gather in front of a government building after Taliban fighters burnt it down in Kunduz city, capital of northern Kunduz province of Afghanistan, Oct. 6, 2015.

Local residents gather in front of a government building after Taliban fighters burnt it down in Kunduz city, capital of northern Kunduz province of Afghanistan, Oct. 6, 2015. Afghan security forces after five days of fierce fighting were able to reopen the road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city and sent reinforcement there to bolster government positions against Taliban fighters, police said. (Xinhua/Ajmal)

KABUL, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- Afghan security forces after five days of fierce fighting were able to reopen the road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city and sent reinforcement there to bolster government positions against Taliban fighters, police said.

"The security forces were finally able to evict Taliban militants from Jar-e-Khushk area and reopened the road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city," Baghlan provincial police chief, Abdul Jabbar Purduli told reporters.

At least nine Taliban militants have been killed and over a dozen others injured during the operations to reopen the road, he said, adding security forces are chasing militants to kill or capture.

Taliban militants, after capturing Kunduz provincial capital the Kunduz city on Sept. 29, blocked Baghlan-Kunduz road in Jar-e- Khushk area and didn't allow Afghan reinforcement caravans to reach Kunduz city.

"The road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city was reopened today and is open before both military convoys and civilian vehicles," Purduli said.

Meanwhile, amid ongoing cleanup operations in Kunduz city, fresh clashes flared up as Taliban militants from their hideouts opened fire on security forces in parts of Kunduz city on Tuesday, locals said.

"Taliban militants who have been hidden in some houses opened fire on security forces in parts of Kunduz city today morning and the security forces responded," a Kunduz resident, Abdul Hakim told Xinhua.

He added that a group of Taliban insurgent were attempting to regain Khawja Mashad area 300 meters away from the Provincial Governor House, on Tuesday morning but have been defeated.

Meanwhile, deputy to Kunduz police chief, Sayed Jahangir Karamat in talks with Xinhua confirmed the clash but said that the security forces have been continuing cleanup operations to ensure lasting peace in and around Kunduz city.

Taliban militants captured Kunduz city on Sept. 29 and government forces launched a counter-offensive last Thursday. So far major parts of the city has been taken back and normalcy is gradually returning to the city.

Kunduz police chief, Mohanmmad Qasim Jangal Bagh in talks with local media claimed that 80 percent of Kunduz city has been cleared of Taliban insurgents, and the remaining areas would soon be rid of militants.

However, observers are critical of government forces' alleged failure in evicting militants from the strategically important Kunduz city, saying contrary to the expectation of people the snail-pace cleanup operation is too slow to ensure lasting peace there as people expected.

   1 2 3 4 5 6 >>  

[Editor: huaxia]
 
Afghan forces reopen supplying road to mount pressure on Taliban in Kunduz city
                 English.news.cn | 2015-10-06 19:51:08 | Editor: huaxia

Local residents gather in front of a government building after Taliban fighters burnt it down in Kunduz city, capital of northern Kunduz province of Afghanistan, Oct. 6, 2015.

Local residents gather in front of a government building after Taliban fighters burnt it down in Kunduz city, capital of northern Kunduz province of Afghanistan, Oct. 6, 2015. Afghan security forces after five days of fierce fighting were able to reopen the road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city and sent reinforcement there to bolster government positions against Taliban fighters, police said. (Xinhua/Ajmal)

KABUL, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- Afghan security forces after five days of fierce fighting were able to reopen the road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city and sent reinforcement there to bolster government positions against Taliban fighters, police said.

"The security forces were finally able to evict Taliban militants from Jar-e-Khushk area and reopened the road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city," Baghlan provincial police chief, Abdul Jabbar Purduli told reporters.

At least nine Taliban militants have been killed and over a dozen others injured during the operations to reopen the road, he said, adding security forces are chasing militants to kill or capture.

Taliban militants, after capturing Kunduz provincial capital the Kunduz city on Sept. 29, blocked Baghlan-Kunduz road in Jar-e- Khushk area and didn't allow Afghan reinforcement caravans to reach Kunduz city.

"The road linking Baghlan to Kunduz city was reopened today and is open before both military convoys and civilian vehicles," Purduli said.

Meanwhile, amid ongoing cleanup operations in Kunduz city, fresh clashes flared up as Taliban militants from their hideouts opened fire on security forces in parts of Kunduz city on Tuesday, locals said.

"Taliban militants who have been hidden in some houses opened fire on security forces in parts of Kunduz city today morning and the security forces responded," a Kunduz resident, Abdul Hakim told Xinhua.

He added that a group of Taliban insurgent were attempting to regain Khawja Mashad area 300 meters away from the Provincial Governor House, on Tuesday morning but have been defeated.

Meanwhile, deputy to Kunduz police chief, Sayed Jahangir Karamat in talks with Xinhua confirmed the clash but said that the security forces have been continuing cleanup operations to ensure lasting peace in and around Kunduz city.

Taliban militants captured Kunduz city on Sept. 29 and government forces launched a counter-offensive last Thursday. So far major parts of the city has been taken back and normalcy is gradually returning to the city.

Kunduz police chief, Mohanmmad Qasim Jangal Bagh in talks with local media claimed that 80 percent of Kunduz city has been cleared of Taliban insurgents, and the remaining areas would soon be rid of militants.

However, observers are critical of government forces' alleged failure in evicting militants from the strategically important Kunduz city, saying contrary to the expectation of people the snail-pace cleanup operation is too slow to ensure lasting peace there as people expected.

   1 2 3 4 5 6   

分享
3 attackers killed, 11 injured in Taliban attack in Kabul
Taliban attack on Afghan's Maimana city repulsed, 23 insurgents including shadowy governor killed
U.S.transport plane crash kills at least 12 in Afghanistan, Taliban claims responsibility
Afghan troops recapture Kunduz city from Taliban
China sees travel rush as National Day holidays draw to end
China sees travel rush as National Day holidays draw to end
Aerial photos of Shanghai Pilot FTZ
Aerial photos of Shanghai Pilot FTZ
China sees record number of tourists during Golden Week
China sees record number of tourists during Golden Week
Highlights of Jingmen Flight Carnival 2015
Highlights of Jingmen Flight Carnival 2015
Afghan forces reopen supplying road to Kunduz city
Afghan forces reopen supplying road to Kunduz city
Japanese, Canadian scientists share 2015 Noble Prize in Physics
Japanese, Canadian scientists share 2015 Noble Prize in Physics
German, Kuwaiti FMs hold joint press conference in Kuwait
German, Kuwaiti FMs hold joint press conference in Kuwait
Funeral held for Palestinian killed by Israeli military in clash
Funeral held for Palestinian killed by Israeli military in clash
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011100001346877541