Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Refugee  V-Day parade  World War II  AIIB  South China Sea  

UN human rights chief says airstrikes on Kunduz hospital possibly criminal

English.news.cn   2015-10-05 20:22:17

GENEVA, Oct. 5 (Xinhua) -- The latest airstrikes hitting a clinic in Kunduz killing and injuring many patients and medical personnel is "utterly tragic, inexcusable, and possibly even criminal", UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement on Monday.

"International and Afghan military planners have an obligation to respect and protect civilians at all times, and these obligations apply no matter whose air force is involved, and irrespective of the location," the UN human rights chief said.

In the early hours of the past Saturday air raids struck the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz, capital of the northern Kunduz province, killing at least 22 people, including three children.

Washington and Kabul have launched a joint investigation into the bombing, however, the MSF has called for an independent investigation into the attack.

According to MSF, pro-government forces had been informed of the precise location of the medical facilities and airstrikes continued to hit the area for a further 30 minutes after pro-government forces were informed they were endangering a medical facility.

A U.S. spokesperson has reportedly been quoted as saying U.S. planes were carrying out airstrikes at around the time the hospital was hit.

"It is essential to ensure any inquiry was independent, impartial, transparent and effective, and this deeply shocking event should be promptly, thoroughly and independently investigated and the results should be made public," Zeid said, adding that an airstrike on a hospital may amount to a war crime.

Related:

Death toll in Afghan hospital bombing rises to 22

KABUL, Oct. 4 (Xinhua) -- The death toll by air strikes at a hospital run by medical aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in Afghanistan's northern Kunduz city has risen to 22, the agency said in a statement on Sunday.

"Not a single member of our staff reported any fighting inside the MSF hospital compound prior to the U.S. air strike on Saturday morning. The hospital was full of MSF staff, patients and their caretakers. It is 12 MSF staff members and 10 patients, including three children, who were killed in the attack," the statement said. Full story >>>

Spotlight: Int'l community condemns deadly air raid on Afghan hospital, investigation under way to ensure accountability

UNITED NATIONS/WASHINGTON, Oct. 4 (Xinhua) -- A suspected U.S. airstrike on a charity hospital in north Afghanistan killed at least 19 people Saturday, an attack U.S. President Barack Obama described as a "tragic incident" and the UN condemned as "inexcusable."

At early hours of Saturday, the air raid reportedly launched by U.S. forces in Afghanistan struck the Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) or MSF hospital in Kunduz city, capital of northern Kunduz province, killing at least 19 people and injuring 37 others. Full story >>>

UN chief slams deadly Afghan hospital airstrikes

UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 3 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Saturday strongly condemned airstrikes that killed medical staff and civilians in a hospital in north Afghanistan, calling for "a thorough and impartial investigation into the attack in order to ensure accountability."

"The secretary-general strongly condemns the airstrikes in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that resulted in the death and injury of medical workers and patients at a Medecins Sans Frontieres hospital on 3 October," said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesman. Full story >>>

Editor: xuxin
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

UN human rights chief says airstrikes on Kunduz hospital possibly criminal

English.news.cn 2015-10-05 20:22:17

GENEVA, Oct. 5 (Xinhua) -- The latest airstrikes hitting a clinic in Kunduz killing and injuring many patients and medical personnel is "utterly tragic, inexcusable, and possibly even criminal", UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement on Monday.

"International and Afghan military planners have an obligation to respect and protect civilians at all times, and these obligations apply no matter whose air force is involved, and irrespective of the location," the UN human rights chief said.

In the early hours of the past Saturday air raids struck the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz, capital of the northern Kunduz province, killing at least 22 people, including three children.

Washington and Kabul have launched a joint investigation into the bombing, however, the MSF has called for an independent investigation into the attack.

According to MSF, pro-government forces had been informed of the precise location of the medical facilities and airstrikes continued to hit the area for a further 30 minutes after pro-government forces were informed they were endangering a medical facility.

A U.S. spokesperson has reportedly been quoted as saying U.S. planes were carrying out airstrikes at around the time the hospital was hit.

"It is essential to ensure any inquiry was independent, impartial, transparent and effective, and this deeply shocking event should be promptly, thoroughly and independently investigated and the results should be made public," Zeid said, adding that an airstrike on a hospital may amount to a war crime.

Related:

Death toll in Afghan hospital bombing rises to 22

KABUL, Oct. 4 (Xinhua) -- The death toll by air strikes at a hospital run by medical aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in Afghanistan's northern Kunduz city has risen to 22, the agency said in a statement on Sunday.

"Not a single member of our staff reported any fighting inside the MSF hospital compound prior to the U.S. air strike on Saturday morning. The hospital was full of MSF staff, patients and their caretakers. It is 12 MSF staff members and 10 patients, including three children, who were killed in the attack," the statement said. Full story >>>

Spotlight: Int'l community condemns deadly air raid on Afghan hospital, investigation under way to ensure accountability

UNITED NATIONS/WASHINGTON, Oct. 4 (Xinhua) -- A suspected U.S. airstrike on a charity hospital in north Afghanistan killed at least 19 people Saturday, an attack U.S. President Barack Obama described as a "tragic incident" and the UN condemned as "inexcusable."

At early hours of Saturday, the air raid reportedly launched by U.S. forces in Afghanistan struck the Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) or MSF hospital in Kunduz city, capital of northern Kunduz province, killing at least 19 people and injuring 37 others. Full story >>>

UN chief slams deadly Afghan hospital airstrikes

UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 3 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Saturday strongly condemned airstrikes that killed medical staff and civilians in a hospital in north Afghanistan, calling for "a thorough and impartial investigation into the attack in order to ensure accountability."

"The secretary-general strongly condemns the airstrikes in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that resulted in the death and injury of medical workers and patients at a Medecins Sans Frontieres hospital on 3 October," said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesman. Full story >>>

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011100001346857271