GAZA, Oct. 3 (Xinhua) -- An Islamic Hamas movement spokesman said on Saturday the attack in east Jerusalem, where one Israeli was killed and three wounded, is a clear message to Israel.
Husam Badran, Hamas spokesman, said in an emailed press statement that the attack in east Jerusalem "is blessed and it is a clear message to Israel that our people will never accept the Israeli measures against Al-Aqsa Mosque."
"Our Palestinian people are ready to die, to get arrested and get detained for defending Al-Aqsa Mosque and deter the occupier who tries to single out our people using the current regional changes," said Badran.
According to Israeli police, a Palestinian attacked four Israelis by a knife, killing one and wounding three others in the Old City of Jerusalem, adding that Israeli security forces shot and killed the attacker.
The four Israelis, all members of the same ultra-Orthodox family, were apparently on their way to the Western Wall when they were attacked, Israeli radio reported.
After the stabbing, the assailant shot at police officers who rushed to the scene using a gun he obtained from one of the wounded. He was then shot and killed by the officers, the police told the radio.
"This attack will be added to the flaring armed resistance in the West Bank against the escalated Israeli occupation measures against Al-Aqsa Mosque and against our people," said Badran.
Related:
Islamic Jihad member kills 2 Israelis in east Jerusalem: spokesman
GAZA, Oct. 3 (Xinhua) -- The Palestinian who stabbed and shot two Israelis in east Jerusalem earlier on Saturday is a member in the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (Holy War) movement, a spokesman of the group said.
Dawood Shihab, spokesman of Islamic Jihad in Gaza, told Xinhua that Muhanad Halabi, the Islamic Jihad member is the one who carried out the attack in east Jerusalem's Old City. Full story
Hamas rejects Tony Blair's proposal on truce with Israel
GAZA, Oct. 3 (Xinhua) -- Hamas announced on Saturday its rejection of a proposal by former envoy of the Middle East Quartet Tony Blair on reaching a long-term truce with Israel.
Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Zahar said in a statement carried by the Islamist movement's website that the group does not have a new truce deal, but an implementation of the cease-fire agreement announced by Egypt on Aug. 26 last year. Full story












