Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Refugee  V-Day parade  World War II  AIIB  South China Sea  

UN chief slams attacks on peacekeepers in Darfur

English.news.cn   2015-09-28 07:25:51

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 27 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday condemned "in the strongest possible terms" an attack earlier in the day on peacekeepers of the African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operations in Darfur (UNAMID), appealing to the Sudanese authorities to "investigate the incident and to bring the perpetrators to justice."

The attack left one South African peacekeeper dead and four others wounded after an exchange of fire, said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesman. It took place near Mellit, North Darfur, while the peacekeepers were escorting a UNAMID logistics convoy.

The secretary-general extended his condolences to the South African government and people, and to the family of the deceased peacekeeper, the statement said. "He wishes the wounded a speedy recovery."

"The secretary-general appeals to the Sudanese authorities to investigate the incident and to bring the perpetrators to justice, as soon as possible," the statement said. "He calls on the parties to the conflict in Darfur to respect the integrity of the peacekeeping force."

Ban "reminds them that they may be held accountable for any attacks on or threats against UNAMID," according to the statement.

Editor: Song Miou
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

UN chief slams attacks on peacekeepers in Darfur

English.news.cn 2015-09-28 07:25:51

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 27 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday condemned "in the strongest possible terms" an attack earlier in the day on peacekeepers of the African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operations in Darfur (UNAMID), appealing to the Sudanese authorities to "investigate the incident and to bring the perpetrators to justice."

The attack left one South African peacekeeper dead and four others wounded after an exchange of fire, said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesman. It took place near Mellit, North Darfur, while the peacekeepers were escorting a UNAMID logistics convoy.

The secretary-general extended his condolences to the South African government and people, and to the family of the deceased peacekeeper, the statement said. "He wishes the wounded a speedy recovery."

"The secretary-general appeals to the Sudanese authorities to investigate the incident and to bring the perpetrators to justice, as soon as possible," the statement said. "He calls on the parties to the conflict in Darfur to respect the integrity of the peacekeeping force."

Ban "reminds them that they may be held accountable for any attacks on or threats against UNAMID," according to the statement.

[Editor: Song Miou]
010020070750000000000000011100001346655571