Xinhuanet

Saudi stampede death toll rises to 769: minister

English.news.cn 2015-09-26 22:26:58

SAUDI ARABIA-MECCA-MINA-HAJJ-STAMPEDE-DEATH TOLL

Muslim pilgrims attend Hajj rituals in Mina outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia, Sept. 26, 2015. The death toll in Thursday's stampede in Mina, neighboring the holy city Mecca, has risen to 769, Saudi Health Minister Khalid al-Falih said on Saturday. The accident took place amid a rush of the stoning as part of Hajj rituals. Muslim pilgrims throw stones on a wall representing devil. (Xinhua)

RIYADH, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- The death toll in Thursday's stampede in Mina, neighboring the holy city Mecca, has risen to 769, Saudi Health Minister Khalid al-Falih said on Saturday.

Until now, the deadly disaster has left 769 pilgrims dead and 934 wounded, the minister said at a news conference.

The accident took place amid a rush of the stoning as part of Hajj rituals. Muslim pilgrims throw stones on a wall representing devil.

The stampede has drawn fierce criticism of the Saudi authorities' handling of safety, particularly from regional rival Iran.

Earlier on Saturday, the Saudi official media reported that the kingdom's top religious leader said the stampede was beyond human control.

"You are not responsible for what happened. As for the things that humans cannot control, you are not blamed for them. Fate and destiny are inevitable," Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh told Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, who is also the minister of interior, the report said.

It was the second major accident involving massive casualties this month in Saudi Arabia. Earlier in September, 111 pilgrims were killed and 331 others injured in a crane crash in the grand mosque of Mecca.

Related:

Saudi announces revision of Hajj security plan for next year

RIYADH, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- Saudi Arabia announced Friday a revision of the Hajj security plan for the next season after the deadly and worst stampede in 25 years that killed over 700 pilgrims on Thursday.

According to local press, one high reason of the incident is the negligence of pilgrims to crowd control rules while carrying a ritual of stoning the devil in Mina area in Mecca on Thursday morning.  Full story

China offers condolences to Hajj stampede victims

BEIJING, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- China is deeply saddened by the loss of life and injuries that have occurred as a result of a stampede in the Mina Valley, about five kilometres from Mecca, said a Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Friday.

"We extend profound condolences to the victims as well as heartfelt sympathy to the injured and the bereaved families of the victims," said spokesperson Hong Lei at a regular press briefing.  Full story

Saudi Arabia says death toll in Mecca stampede could rise

RIYADH, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- Saudi Arabia said the death toll in Thursday's stampede in Mina, neighboring the holy city Mecca, is expected to rise, Al Arabiya local news channel reported.

Earlier reports said 717 pilgrims died and 863 injured during a major Hajj ritual of throwing pebbles at one of the three walls representing Satan, the symbolic "stoning of the devil."Full Story

UN chief "deeply saddened" at stampede deaths at hajj in Saudi Arabia

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Thursday that he was "deeply saddened" to learn of the death of more than 700 Hajj pilgrims and of injuries to many others as a result of a deadly stampede in the Mina Valley in Saudi Arabia.

"This tragic incident is all the more distressing as it took place on the first day of the Holy Eid Al-Adha marking the end of the annual Hajj season," said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesman.Full Story

Three Nepali Muslim pilgrims killed in Mecca stampede

KATHMANDU, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- Nepali authorities confirmed on Friday that three Nepali nationals were killed and another was injured in the stampede in the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

Nepal's Acting Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Ananda Sharma told Xinhua over the phone that the three Nepali nationals killed in the incident have been identified as Jakir Hussain, Izahar Miya and Sule Mania.  Full story

4 Indians among pilgrims killed in stampede outside Mecca

NEW DELHI, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- At least four Indians were killed in Thursday's stampede at Mina outside the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, Indian media reported Friday.

Several Indians pilgrims also sustained injuries in the incident which left more than 700 pilgrims dead and hundreds others hurt.  Full story

[Editor: huaxia]
 
Saudi stampede death toll rises to 769: minister
                 English.news.cn | 2015-09-26 22:26:58 | Editor: huaxia

SAUDI ARABIA-MECCA-MINA-HAJJ-STAMPEDE-DEATH TOLL

Muslim pilgrims attend Hajj rituals in Mina outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia, Sept. 26, 2015. The death toll in Thursday's stampede in Mina, neighboring the holy city Mecca, has risen to 769, Saudi Health Minister Khalid al-Falih said on Saturday. The accident took place amid a rush of the stoning as part of Hajj rituals. Muslim pilgrims throw stones on a wall representing devil. (Xinhua)

RIYADH, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- The death toll in Thursday's stampede in Mina, neighboring the holy city Mecca, has risen to 769, Saudi Health Minister Khalid al-Falih said on Saturday.

Until now, the deadly disaster has left 769 pilgrims dead and 934 wounded, the minister said at a news conference.

The accident took place amid a rush of the stoning as part of Hajj rituals. Muslim pilgrims throw stones on a wall representing devil.

The stampede has drawn fierce criticism of the Saudi authorities' handling of safety, particularly from regional rival Iran.

Earlier on Saturday, the Saudi official media reported that the kingdom's top religious leader said the stampede was beyond human control.

"You are not responsible for what happened. As for the things that humans cannot control, you are not blamed for them. Fate and destiny are inevitable," Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh told Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, who is also the minister of interior, the report said.

It was the second major accident involving massive casualties this month in Saudi Arabia. Earlier in September, 111 pilgrims were killed and 331 others injured in a crane crash in the grand mosque of Mecca.

Related:

Saudi announces revision of Hajj security plan for next year

RIYADH, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- Saudi Arabia announced Friday a revision of the Hajj security plan for the next season after the deadly and worst stampede in 25 years that killed over 700 pilgrims on Thursday.

According to local press, one high reason of the incident is the negligence of pilgrims to crowd control rules while carrying a ritual of stoning the devil in Mina area in Mecca on Thursday morning.  Full story

China offers condolences to Hajj stampede victims

BEIJING, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- China is deeply saddened by the loss of life and injuries that have occurred as a result of a stampede in the Mina Valley, about five kilometres from Mecca, said a Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Friday.

"We extend profound condolences to the victims as well as heartfelt sympathy to the injured and the bereaved families of the victims," said spokesperson Hong Lei at a regular press briefing.  Full story

Saudi Arabia says death toll in Mecca stampede could rise

RIYADH, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- Saudi Arabia said the death toll in Thursday's stampede in Mina, neighboring the holy city Mecca, is expected to rise, Al Arabiya local news channel reported.

Earlier reports said 717 pilgrims died and 863 injured during a major Hajj ritual of throwing pebbles at one of the three walls representing Satan, the symbolic "stoning of the devil."Full Story

UN chief "deeply saddened" at stampede deaths at hajj in Saudi Arabia

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Thursday that he was "deeply saddened" to learn of the death of more than 700 Hajj pilgrims and of injuries to many others as a result of a deadly stampede in the Mina Valley in Saudi Arabia.

"This tragic incident is all the more distressing as it took place on the first day of the Holy Eid Al-Adha marking the end of the annual Hajj season," said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesman.Full Story

Three Nepali Muslim pilgrims killed in Mecca stampede

KATHMANDU, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- Nepali authorities confirmed on Friday that three Nepali nationals were killed and another was injured in the stampede in the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

Nepal's Acting Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Ananda Sharma told Xinhua over the phone that the three Nepali nationals killed in the incident have been identified as Jakir Hussain, Izahar Miya and Sule Mania.  Full story

4 Indians among pilgrims killed in stampede outside Mecca

NEW DELHI, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- At least four Indians were killed in Thursday's stampede at Mina outside the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, Indian media reported Friday.

Several Indians pilgrims also sustained injuries in the incident which left more than 700 pilgrims dead and hundreds others hurt.  Full story

分享
Saudi stampede death toll rises to 769: minister
Saudi Arabia denies involvement of African pilgrims in deadly stampede
Three Nepali Muslim pilgrims killed in Mecca stampede
China offers condolences to Hajj stampede victims
Saudi announces revision of Hajj security plan for next year
China pledges 2 bln USD to support South-South cooperation, calls for equitable development
China pledges 2 bln USD to support South-South cooperation, calls for equitable development
Xi reaffirms support for UN authority, urges more cooperation
Xi reaffirms support for UN authority, urges more cooperation
Mud soccer competition held to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival in E China
Mud soccer competition held to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival in E China
Manchurian tiger cubs, African lion cubs meet press in E China
Manchurian tiger cubs, African lion cubs meet press in E China
Cuban President Raul Castro addresses UN summit in New York
Cuban President Raul Castro addresses UN summit in New York
Dignitaries deliver speeches at UN Sustainable Development Summit
Dignitaries deliver speeches at UN Sustainable Development Summit
Death toll of Mecca stampede rises to 769
Death toll of Mecca stampede rises to 769
Major suspects in Bangkok bombing taken to scenes for re-enactment
Major suspects in Bangkok bombing taken to scenes for re-enactment
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011100001346633021