DAMASCUS, Sept. 17 (Xinhua) -- Syrian warplanes carried out 10 airstrikes on Thursday against the northern province of al-Raqqa, the de facto capital of the Islamic State (IS) militants, activists reported.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Panorama, Fardous, Sina'a, al-Tawlid Hospital among other positions in al-Raqqa.
The airstrikes left several injuries, as ambulances were reportedly speeding toward the targeted areas to collect causalities.
The intensified airstrikes came as reports of Syrian army started using newly-received Russian weaponry emerged Thursday.
Earlier in the day, the pan-Arab al-Mayadeen TV said "the new weaponry sent by Russia is of high and precise efficiency and the Syrian army has started getting trained to use them."
The TV didn't elaborate on where exactly the new weapons were deployed.
Russian officials have recently stressed that Moscow will continue providing military aid to Damascus, and that the military support will be accompanied by Russian specialists.
"There were military supplies. They are ongoing and they will continue," Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Sunday. "They are inevitably accompanied by Russian specialists, who help to adjust the equipment, to train Syrian personnel to use these weaponry."
Russia says the military aid is aimed at combating terrorism in accordance with international law.
Syria is reeling under four years of conflict and intense battles between government troops and an array of ultra-radical groups such as the Nursra Front and the IS.
Related:
France to carry out air strikes on IS in Syria "in the coming weeks" -- defense minister
PARIS, Sept. 16 (Xinhua) -- France would carry out first air strikes on Islamic State (IS) targets in Syria, joining the U.S.-led coalition "in the coming weeks", Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Wednesday.
Asked by France Inter radio about France's military offensive in Syria, Le Drian said air strikes, following the surveillance flights, would be launched "in the coming weeks, as soon as we have clearly identified targets."Full story
Australia launches first air strikes against IS in Syria
CANBERRA, Sept. 16 (Xinhua) -- Australia has launched its first air strikes against the Islamic State (IS) in Syria, Defense Minister Kevin Andrews confirmed on Wednesday.
Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) fighter jets carried out a bombing mission against mobile targets in Syria on Monday and Andrews said the mission was a complete success.Full story










