Xinhuanet

Obama orders preparations to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees in next fiscal year

English.news.cn 2015-09-11 05:18:22

(File photo)

WASHINGTON, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama has asked his administration to open the door to at least 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next fiscal year, the White House said Thursday.

The next fiscal year, or the fiscal year 2016, will start from Oct.1.

"The president has directed his team to scale up that number next year and he's informed his team that he would like them to accept, at least make preparations to accept at least 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next fiscal year," White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters.

The Obama administration has come under sharp criticism from refugee and immigrant advocates for a laggardly response and not doing enough to deal with the crisis caused by refugees escaping conflict in Syria and other countries.

When asked that U.S. is a lot larger than Britain but why it chooses to take in so smaller a number of refugees, Earnest answered by saying that "What it reflects is a significant scaling up of the commitment on the part of the United States to accept more Syrian refugees into this country."

"I also think that this is what common sense tells us, that the solution here is to meet the most urgent, immediate need of Syrian refugee, is to make sure that we can provide basic medical care, basic shelter, basic food and water," Earnest said. "The other thing that's important to recognize...the top concern or the top priority when evaluating these kinds of policy options is the safety and security of the United States and our citizens."

Since the start of the Syrian war in 2011, the population of refugees from the country has totaled around 4 million,according to the United Nations data.

The United States has reportedly taken in 1,500 refugees so far. Refugee advocates and some members of Congress insist taking in an extra 10,000 refugees does not go far enough to address the humanitarian crisis caused by the war, which has caused a massive refugee influx into Europe.

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) criticized the U.S. response to the refugee crisis as "fumbling, feeble."

IRC chief David Miliband said on NBC's Meet the Press Sunday that the U.S. should take 65,000 of Syrian refugees "to maintain its leadership position in refugee resettlement."

When asked Wednesday if the Obama administration felt responsible to share its European allies' refugee burden, the White House spokesman Earnest did not answer it directly, but stressed instead that the U.S. has provided 4 billion U.S. dollars in humanitarian assistance with ongoing diplomatic work to resolve Syria's conflict "peacefully."

Related:

Spotlight: Juncker proposes refugee relocation plan, EU member states at odds

BRUSSELS, Sept. 9 (Xinhua) -- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Wednesday called for relocating 120,000 migrants arriving in Italy, Greece and Hungary under a compulsory scheme among member states of the European Union (EU).

Juncker made the proposals during his speech at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, where he put forward a comprehensive package of proposals to help address the ongoing refugee crisis in Europe.Full Story

Interview: West's policy failures, people smugglers trigger refugee flood

BUDAPEST, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) -- The failure of the United States and its coalition allies to stabilize and truly democratize the Middle East after bringing down governments in Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan is a major cause of today's flood of refugee, a Hungarian expert said.

Western powers' military interventions in the Middle East and north Africa have destabilized Afghanistan and Iraq and, indirectly, caused the civil war in Syria, Dr. Zoltan Galik, a European integration and security policy expert, told Xinhua in a recent interview.Full Story

Commentary: U.S. should abandon "wait-and-see" attitude towards EU refugee crisis

BEIJING, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) -- When Europe pulls a long face amid a tidal wave of refugees, it is high time for its cross-ocean ally, the United States, to abandon its "wait-and-see" attitude and take concrete actions to solve the acute crisis.

A recent UN report said that more than 300,000 refugees -- 80 percent of them from Syria -- entered Europe through the Mediterranean from January to August, exceeding the number of last year as a whole.Full Story

[Editor: huaxia]
 
Obama orders preparations to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees in next fiscal year
                 English.news.cn | 2015-09-11 05:18:22 | Editor: huaxia

(File photo)

WASHINGTON, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama has asked his administration to open the door to at least 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next fiscal year, the White House said Thursday.

The next fiscal year, or the fiscal year 2016, will start from Oct.1.

"The president has directed his team to scale up that number next year and he's informed his team that he would like them to accept, at least make preparations to accept at least 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next fiscal year," White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters.

The Obama administration has come under sharp criticism from refugee and immigrant advocates for a laggardly response and not doing enough to deal with the crisis caused by refugees escaping conflict in Syria and other countries.

When asked that U.S. is a lot larger than Britain but why it chooses to take in so smaller a number of refugees, Earnest answered by saying that "What it reflects is a significant scaling up of the commitment on the part of the United States to accept more Syrian refugees into this country."

"I also think that this is what common sense tells us, that the solution here is to meet the most urgent, immediate need of Syrian refugee, is to make sure that we can provide basic medical care, basic shelter, basic food and water," Earnest said. "The other thing that's important to recognize...the top concern or the top priority when evaluating these kinds of policy options is the safety and security of the United States and our citizens."

Since the start of the Syrian war in 2011, the population of refugees from the country has totaled around 4 million,according to the United Nations data.

The United States has reportedly taken in 1,500 refugees so far. Refugee advocates and some members of Congress insist taking in an extra 10,000 refugees does not go far enough to address the humanitarian crisis caused by the war, which has caused a massive refugee influx into Europe.

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) criticized the U.S. response to the refugee crisis as "fumbling, feeble."

IRC chief David Miliband said on NBC's Meet the Press Sunday that the U.S. should take 65,000 of Syrian refugees "to maintain its leadership position in refugee resettlement."

When asked Wednesday if the Obama administration felt responsible to share its European allies' refugee burden, the White House spokesman Earnest did not answer it directly, but stressed instead that the U.S. has provided 4 billion U.S. dollars in humanitarian assistance with ongoing diplomatic work to resolve Syria's conflict "peacefully."

Related:

Spotlight: Juncker proposes refugee relocation plan, EU member states at odds

BRUSSELS, Sept. 9 (Xinhua) -- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Wednesday called for relocating 120,000 migrants arriving in Italy, Greece and Hungary under a compulsory scheme among member states of the European Union (EU).

Juncker made the proposals during his speech at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, where he put forward a comprehensive package of proposals to help address the ongoing refugee crisis in Europe.Full Story

Interview: West's policy failures, people smugglers trigger refugee flood

BUDAPEST, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) -- The failure of the United States and its coalition allies to stabilize and truly democratize the Middle East after bringing down governments in Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan is a major cause of today's flood of refugee, a Hungarian expert said.

Western powers' military interventions in the Middle East and north Africa have destabilized Afghanistan and Iraq and, indirectly, caused the civil war in Syria, Dr. Zoltan Galik, a European integration and security policy expert, told Xinhua in a recent interview.Full Story

Commentary: U.S. should abandon "wait-and-see" attitude towards EU refugee crisis

BEIJING, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) -- When Europe pulls a long face amid a tidal wave of refugees, it is high time for its cross-ocean ally, the United States, to abandon its "wait-and-see" attitude and take concrete actions to solve the acute crisis.

A recent UN report said that more than 300,000 refugees -- 80 percent of them from Syria -- entered Europe through the Mediterranean from January to August, exceeding the number of last year as a whole.Full Story

分享
Spotlight: Juncker proposes refugee relocation plan, EU member states at odds
Spotlight: U.S. aware of "urgency" in refugee crisis, yet far falls short of action
Commentary: European refugee crisis bitter fruit of Western hegemony, interventionism
Commentary: U.S. has responsibility in European refugee problem
Spotlight: Western countries urge more U.S. response on refugee crisis
China air force opens to public
China air force opens to public
New recruits join units around China
New recruits join units around China
Chinese premier vows further cooperation with Russia's Far Eastern regions
Chinese premier vows further cooperation with Russia's Far Eastern regions
Premier Li meets with Grenada's PM in Dalian
Premier Li meets with Grenada's PM in Dalian
1,000 soilders deployed to fight land fires in Indonesia
1,000 soilders deployed to fight land fires in Indonesia
Rally held to condemn attack on Pakistani journalists
Rally held to condemn attack on Pakistani journalists
Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez to be sentenced
Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez to be sentenced
Singapore's pollution index reaches unhealthy level
Singapore's pollution index reaches unhealthy level
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011100001346122431