
Displaced Syrian families gather to collect relief aid from humanitarian organizations at the battered district of Hamadaniyeh, Aleppo, northern Syria, on July 30, 2015. Aleppo, Syria's largest city and once an economic hub, has been torn between the rebels in the east and the government forces in the western parts of the city while parts of the northern countryside are under the IS control. The Aleppan people suffer from the scarcity of water and electricity and poor sanitation. (Xinhua/Abd Fayad)
By Salah Takieddine
BEIRUT, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- Ahmad Abdel Hamid, a Syrian displaced from Idlib, watches on the screen of his small TV the developments of the ongoing war in his home country.
Abdel Hamid, who lost three of his children three years ago, accused the United States of "being behind the conspiracy that aims at destroying Syria's economic capabilities for the benefit of our Israeli enemy, and it succeeded."
The theory of Abdel Hamid seems to be the same of Hassan Abdel atah al-Nouri, displaced from Aleppo to a small garage in the Bekaa Bar Elias town in Lebanon.
"The displacement is the biggest problem, and the misery we are living through is affecting everyone as well as the hosting country. We are experiencing the unbearable burden, particularly following the cut in monthly aid by the United Nations Higher Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) from 30 to 19 dollars," al-Nouri told Xinhua.
Abdel Latif Abou Ali, displaced from Beit Jin to Hasbaya in southern Lebanon, told Xinhua that because of the aid cut and the recent waiver of the housing allocations, five displaced families had decided to return to Syria last week, but seven people were killed by the shelling on their way home.
Abou Ali blamed the UNHCR in particular and the western countries including the U.S. in general for the seven people's death.
"These countries initiated and are still fueling the war in Syria without any intent to stop in the near future," he said.
The number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean to reach Europe has passed 300,000 so far this year, up from 219,000 in the whole year of 2014, according to the UNHCR.
Syrian refugees in Lebanon are calling on the United Nations to work to find an immediate solution to end the Syrian crisis, and they are also calling on the European countries to provide and ease legal migration for Syrians.
Lebanon hosts around 1.2 million Syrian refugees, and the tiny country, suffering from its own crises, is unable to provide them with adequate aid.
Although many international donors promised financial aid to Lebanon to help it cope with the crisis, they have failed to live up to their pledges.
Related:
Australian air strikes in Syria could last "three years": Defense Minister
CANBERRA, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- Australia is likely to conduct air strikes against Islamic State (IS) in Iraq and Syria until 2018, Defense Minister Kevin Andrews revealed on Thursday.
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Tony Abbott revealed that Australia would be expanding its aerial operations into Syria, joining coalition forces in conducting air strikes against IS targets in the war-torn nation. Full story
Norwegian citizen taken hostage by IS in Syria: PM
OSLO, Sept. 9 (Xinhua) -- A Norwegian citizen has been taken hostage by the Islamic State (IS) extremist group in Syria and the Nordic country has refused to pay any ransom, Norway's Prime Minister Erna Solberg said on Wednesday.
The Norwegian government was made aware of a possible kidnapping of a Norwegian citizen in Syria in late January and a crisis team headed by the Foreign Ministry has worked on it for some time, local newspaper VG quoted Solberg as saying at a press briefing. Full story
IS claims capture of missile battalion in Syria's Deir al-Zour
DAMASCUS, Sept. 9 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic State (IS) militants captured a missile battalion in the military airbase of the eastern province of Deir al-Zour, the group claimed Wednesday.
In an online statement, the IS terror militants said it captured the missile battalion after two of its militants carried out two suicide bombings at the airbase on Wednesday. Full story










