U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks during "Stop the Iran Deal" rally at West Lawn of the Capitol in Washington D.C., capital of the United States, Sept. 9, 2015. U.S. Republican presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz called on lawmakers to boycott the Iran nuclear deal Wednesday, warning of dire consequences if the agreement is implemented. (Xinhua/Bao Dandan)
Click here to see more photos>>>
WASHINGTON, Sept. 9 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Republican presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz called on lawmakers to boycott the Iran nuclear deal Wednesday, warning of dire consequences if the agreement is implemented.
"If this deal goes through, we know to an absolute certainty people will die, Americans will die, Israelis will die, Europeans will die," Cruz said during a rally on the Capitol lawn with Trump.
Trump, a business mogul, blamed the Obama administration for negotiating with Iran an "incompetent","insane" and "horrible" deal.
"I've been making lots of wonderful deals, great deals, that's what I do," Trump told supporters, "Never ever, ever in my life have I seen any transaction so incompetently negotiated as our deal with Iran, and I mean never."
"We are led by very, very stupid people. Very, very stupid people," Trump said, adding "We cannot let it continue." If elected president, he promised that America will have so much winning, and American people "may get bored with winning."
Until Tuesday, 41 U.S. Democratic senators have announced their support of the Iran nuclear deal, giving President Brack Obama the votes he needs to prevent the Senate from passing a measure disapproving of the deal.
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on Wednesday backed the deal during a speech at the Brookings Institution in Washington.
"The United States will never allow you (Iran) to acquire a nuclear weapon," Clinton said, adding she will "not hesitate to take military action if Iran attempts to obtain a nuclear weapon."
The former secretary of state supported the agreement because it is a critical part "of a larger strategy toward Iran."
"This agreement will stand," said Democratic Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid in a speech Tuesday at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. "America will uphold its commitment and we will seize this opportunity to stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon."
The Iran nuclear agreement was reached in July after extensive negotiations between Iran and the so called "5+1" group, namely Britain, China, France, Russia, the United States and Germany.
"This deal blocks every way, every pathway that Iran might take in order to develop a nuclear weapon," President Barack Obama said late last month.
Related:
News Analysis: U.S., Iran head toward nuke deal, but U.S. Congress could block
WASHINGTON, July 5 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. and Iran are reportedly nearing a deal on Tehran's nuclear program, but it remains unknown whether the U.S. Congress will undermine the agreement by refusing to lift the sanctions that have ruined Iran's economy.Full Story
U.S., Iran hold ministerial nuclear talks ahead of final deadline
GENEVA, May 30 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif on Saturday held here a six-hour talk on the remaining differences of the Iran nuclear issue.Full Story
Spotlight: U.S., Iran closer to nuke deal despite Republicans' threat to derail
WASHINGTON, April 27 (Xinhua) -- As U.S. and Iranian negotiators try to hammer out the final details of a nuclear deal, the White House is at loggerheads with some Republican lawmakers who are bent on derailing the deal.Full Story










