Search of MH370 debris off Reunion Island ends, no new discovery
English.news.cn   2015-08-18 18:33:54

SAINT DENIS, Reunion Island, Aug. 18 (Xinhua) -- Search operations for the debris of the missing Malaysian Airline's MH370 plane off the coast of the Indian Ocean island of Reunion ended on Monday without new discoveries.

"In the absence of any new discovery of objects that can advance the ongoing investigations, it appears that the probability of finding more MH370 debris is extremely low," Reunion Island's Administrator Dominique Sorain said in a statement.

A 48-hour air search by a transport aircraft and three helicopters has covered a total maritime zone of 10,000 square kilometers, along with 141-hour search efforts on land that began on Aug. 7.

The army and security forces will remain vigilant during operations in the sea off the French island and along the coast, the statement added.

Sorain on Friday announced that ground search found debris "that was not of the same size as the wing part found in late July". It has been taken to the Air Transport Brigade of the French Gendarmerie for tests.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has confirmed the wing part known as flaperon found on the island late July was from MH370.

However, investigators in France have so far only said the link is highly likely.

Malaysia's Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai on Sunday said the mission to trace the MH370 wreckage involving Malaysia, Australia and China would continue in the Indian Ocean.

The three nations would hold a meeting next month to review the search area, he added.

Flight MH370 went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, and was believed to have crashed into the sea. A total of 239 people were on board, most of them Chinese.

Related:

Malaysia retrieves objects from Maldives to verify MH370 links

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug. 16 (Xinhua) -- A Malaysian team have brought back two tiny objects from the Maldives to verify if they are debris from the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 aircraft, Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said Sunday.

Liow was quoted by the official news agency Bernama as saying that efforts are underway by the investigation team to verify the subjects. Full story

Most debris found in Maldives unrelated to MH370: Malaysian official

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug. 14 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said here Friday that most of the debris found in the Maldives is unrelated to the missing flight of Malaysian Airlines MH370.

Liow said that according to the report of the Malaysia investigation team in Maldives, most of the debris there are negative and not plane material. Full story

France to expand search area for more MH370 debris

LA REUNION, France, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- Authorities of French overseas Reunion Island said on Wednesday the search for more debris of the missing Malaysian Airline MH370 will move towards the southern zones of the island starting Thursday. Full story

Editor: xuxin
Related News
Xinhuanet

Search of MH370 debris off Reunion Island ends, no new discovery

English.news.cn 2015-08-18 18:33:54

SAINT DENIS, Reunion Island, Aug. 18 (Xinhua) -- Search operations for the debris of the missing Malaysian Airline's MH370 plane off the coast of the Indian Ocean island of Reunion ended on Monday without new discoveries.

"In the absence of any new discovery of objects that can advance the ongoing investigations, it appears that the probability of finding more MH370 debris is extremely low," Reunion Island's Administrator Dominique Sorain said in a statement.

A 48-hour air search by a transport aircraft and three helicopters has covered a total maritime zone of 10,000 square kilometers, along with 141-hour search efforts on land that began on Aug. 7.

The army and security forces will remain vigilant during operations in the sea off the French island and along the coast, the statement added.

Sorain on Friday announced that ground search found debris "that was not of the same size as the wing part found in late July". It has been taken to the Air Transport Brigade of the French Gendarmerie for tests.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has confirmed the wing part known as flaperon found on the island late July was from MH370.

However, investigators in France have so far only said the link is highly likely.

Malaysia's Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai on Sunday said the mission to trace the MH370 wreckage involving Malaysia, Australia and China would continue in the Indian Ocean.

The three nations would hold a meeting next month to review the search area, he added.

Flight MH370 went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, and was believed to have crashed into the sea. A total of 239 people were on board, most of them Chinese.

Related:

Malaysia retrieves objects from Maldives to verify MH370 links

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug. 16 (Xinhua) -- A Malaysian team have brought back two tiny objects from the Maldives to verify if they are debris from the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 aircraft, Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said Sunday.

Liow was quoted by the official news agency Bernama as saying that efforts are underway by the investigation team to verify the subjects. Full story

Most debris found in Maldives unrelated to MH370: Malaysian official

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug. 14 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said here Friday that most of the debris found in the Maldives is unrelated to the missing flight of Malaysian Airlines MH370.

Liow said that according to the report of the Malaysia investigation team in Maldives, most of the debris there are negative and not plane material. Full story

France to expand search area for more MH370 debris

LA REUNION, France, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- Authorities of French overseas Reunion Island said on Wednesday the search for more debris of the missing Malaysian Airline MH370 will move towards the southern zones of the island starting Thursday. Full story

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011100001345310391