Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
 
Army air strikes kill 40 militants in NW Pakistan
                 English.news.cn | 2015-08-16 20:43:01 | Editor: huaxia

ISLAMABAD, Aug. 16 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani military said fighter jets killed at least 40 militants in North Waziristan tribal region on Sunday.

The airstrikes were conducted in Shawal area in the restive North Waziristan, where thousands of troops are battling the Taliban and other armed groups.

The military launched the major offensive in June last year and security officials say over 2,500 militants have so far been killed and over 90 percent of the areas cleared of the militants.

Gen. Raheel Sharif, the army chief, who visited the region last month, said the operation code-named Zarb-e-Abab is in its final stage.

"In precise aerial strikes 40 terrorists were killed this afternoon in Shawal. There are reports of many terrorists injured in strikes," an army statement said.

The statement from the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said more details will be released later.

The long-awaited operation was launched on June 15 following a militant attack on Karachi's international airport after the failure of peace talks between the government and militants.

Security officials say the fleeing militants are hiding in the rugged mountains to avoid airstrikes.

Maj. Gen. Asim Bajwa, the military spokesman, says the forces have already completed the first phase of the ground offensive in Shawal area and the second is being planned to take control of the few pockets.

The military has taken complete control of the main towns, Miranshah and Mir Ali, and has also started repatriation to the displaced persons to areas where the security forces have established writ.

Nearly one million people have been displaced since the operation was launched.

Death toll in India, Pakistan skirmish on LoC rises to 6 in Indian-controlled Kashmir
In pictures: Lahore Fort in eastern Pakistan's Lahore
Senior provincial minister among 10 killed in East Pakistan's suicide blast
3 killed in bomb attack on senior official's camp in Pakistan
Camp of Pakistan's Punjab provincial home minister attacked
Back to Top Close
Xinhuanet

Army air strikes kill 40 militants in NW Pakistan

English.news.cn 2015-08-16 20:43:01

ISLAMABAD, Aug. 16 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani military said fighter jets killed at least 40 militants in North Waziristan tribal region on Sunday.

The airstrikes were conducted in Shawal area in the restive North Waziristan, where thousands of troops are battling the Taliban and other armed groups.

The military launched the major offensive in June last year and security officials say over 2,500 militants have so far been killed and over 90 percent of the areas cleared of the militants.

Gen. Raheel Sharif, the army chief, who visited the region last month, said the operation code-named Zarb-e-Abab is in its final stage.

"In precise aerial strikes 40 terrorists were killed this afternoon in Shawal. There are reports of many terrorists injured in strikes," an army statement said.

The statement from the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said more details will be released later.

The long-awaited operation was launched on June 15 following a militant attack on Karachi's international airport after the failure of peace talks between the government and militants.

Security officials say the fleeing militants are hiding in the rugged mountains to avoid airstrikes.

Maj. Gen. Asim Bajwa, the military spokesman, says the forces have already completed the first phase of the ground offensive in Shawal area and the second is being planned to take control of the few pockets.

The military has taken complete control of the main towns, Miranshah and Mir Ali, and has also started repatriation to the displaced persons to areas where the security forces have established writ.

Nearly one million people have been displaced since the operation was launched.

[Editor: huaxia ]
010020070750000000000000011100001345233761