Xinhuanet

Typhoon Soudelor kills 14 in E China

English.news.cn 2015-08-09 22:36:46

A bus runs on a waterlogged road in downtown Fuzhou, capital of southeast China's Fujian Province, Aug. 9, 2015. Typhoon Soudelor stormed through Fujian after it landed in the province on Saturday night, causing urban waterlogging in the capital city of Fuzhou. (Xinhua/Jiang Kehong)

HANGZHOU, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Soudelor, the 13th this year, has left 14 people dead and another four missing in east China's Zhejiang Province, local government announced on Sunday.

In the hardest-hit city of Wenzhou, 12 were killed and four were missing. In the neighboring city of Lishui, another two were killed.

The 14 have been killed after being either washed away by flash floods or buried in house collapse or landslides, the provincial flood control authorities said.

The typhoon brought heavy downpours to the regions where precipitation in some counties reached 700 mm over the past two and a half days, a record in up to 120 years.

Floods have inundated several townships in the two cities, with water as deep as four meters.

"The rain pounded non-stop on Saturday night and when we woke up this morning, the car parked outside the home has almost been submerged," said a resident surnamed Chen in the county of Pingyang in Wenzhou. "We never expected the rain to be such heavy."

By Sunday afternoon, the typhoon has affected 1.58 million people and forced 188,400 to relocate in Zhejiang. It also toppled down 223 houses, damaged 272 roads and 43,600 hectares of crops, inflicting a direct economic loss of 4 billion yuan (644 million U.S. dollars).

The typhoon has once cut power supply to 785,000 homes, but 60 percent have been resumed by Sunday evening.

Provincial officials have headed rescue teams to the hard-hit regions. In Wenzhou alone, more than 50,000 rescuers have been dispatched to help cope with the aftermath of the disaster.

Authorities also have warned of guarding against flash floods and landslides to avoid further casualties.

After pounding Taiwan and leaving six people dead, Soudelor landed in Fujian Province and moved from there to neighboring Zhejiang, Jiangxi and Anhui provinces.

Anhui and Jiangsu provinces have launched a level-three emergency response for the typhoon and rainstorms, following nearby Jiangxi Province.

More than 10,000 people in Anhui Province have already been evacuated.

Authorities in Jiangxi have evacuated tourists and temporarily closed major tourist destinations to avoid potential backlash from the typhoon.

Soudelor landed at 10:10 p.m. Saturday in Putian County, Fujian. So far, a total of 1.04 million people in Fujian have been affected.

The city of Fuding experienced the heaviest downpour of over 501 mm in Fujian.

In the provincial capital of Fuzhou, much of the downtown area was waterlogged. More than 10,000 trees had fallen and traffic stalled on flooded streets.

A total of 163,200 people were evacuated to shore on Saturday night,according to the provincial flood control and drought relief office.

Power supply for more than three million households was affected. As of Sunday morning electricity has been resumed in 1.14 million households after urgent repairs, according to State Grid Fujian Electric Power Co., Ltd.

Three airports in the province were closed, with more than 530 flights canceled. Six expressways were closed, and 191 high-speed trains were canceled.

As the typhoon moved to east China, the Fujian flood control and drought relief office downgraded the level-three typhoon emergency response to a level-two response.

Soudelor landed in Taiwan earlier Saturday and left at least six people dead, four missing and 102 injured.

Related:

Taiwan lifts warning for super typhoon Soudelor

TAIPEI, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Taiwan's meteorological authority Sunday morning lifted warnings for super typhoon Soudelor after it battered the island, killing five people Saturday.Full Story

Typhoon Soudelor sweeps through E China

FUZHOU, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Soudelor, the 13th this year, is moving from southeast China's Fujian Province to neighboring Zhejiang and Jiangxi provinces on Sunday morning after it landed in the Chinese mainland on Saturday night.

Typhoon Soudelor hit Putian City in Fujian at 10:10 p.m. Saturday and stormed through the province.Full Story

Nearly 5,000 evacuated as Typhoon Soudelor approaches SE China

FUZHOU, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- Nearly 5,000 people in southeast China's Fujian Province have been evacuated as Typhoon Soudelor, the 13th this year, is expected to hit the province on Saturday.Full Story

[Editor: huaxia]
 
Typhoon Soudelor kills 14 in E China
                 English.news.cn | 2015-08-09 22:36:46 | Editor: huaxia

A bus runs on a waterlogged road in downtown Fuzhou, capital of southeast China's Fujian Province, Aug. 9, 2015. Typhoon Soudelor stormed through Fujian after it landed in the province on Saturday night, causing urban waterlogging in the capital city of Fuzhou. (Xinhua/Jiang Kehong)

HANGZHOU, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Soudelor, the 13th this year, has left 14 people dead and another four missing in east China's Zhejiang Province, local government announced on Sunday.

In the hardest-hit city of Wenzhou, 12 were killed and four were missing. In the neighboring city of Lishui, another two were killed.

The 14 have been killed after being either washed away by flash floods or buried in house collapse or landslides, the provincial flood control authorities said.

The typhoon brought heavy downpours to the regions where precipitation in some counties reached 700 mm over the past two and a half days, a record in up to 120 years.

Floods have inundated several townships in the two cities, with water as deep as four meters.

"The rain pounded non-stop on Saturday night and when we woke up this morning, the car parked outside the home has almost been submerged," said a resident surnamed Chen in the county of Pingyang in Wenzhou. "We never expected the rain to be such heavy."

By Sunday afternoon, the typhoon has affected 1.58 million people and forced 188,400 to relocate in Zhejiang. It also toppled down 223 houses, damaged 272 roads and 43,600 hectares of crops, inflicting a direct economic loss of 4 billion yuan (644 million U.S. dollars).

The typhoon has once cut power supply to 785,000 homes, but 60 percent have been resumed by Sunday evening.

Provincial officials have headed rescue teams to the hard-hit regions. In Wenzhou alone, more than 50,000 rescuers have been dispatched to help cope with the aftermath of the disaster.

Authorities also have warned of guarding against flash floods and landslides to avoid further casualties.

After pounding Taiwan and leaving six people dead, Soudelor landed in Fujian Province and moved from there to neighboring Zhejiang, Jiangxi and Anhui provinces.

Anhui and Jiangsu provinces have launched a level-three emergency response for the typhoon and rainstorms, following nearby Jiangxi Province.

More than 10,000 people in Anhui Province have already been evacuated.

Authorities in Jiangxi have evacuated tourists and temporarily closed major tourist destinations to avoid potential backlash from the typhoon.

Soudelor landed at 10:10 p.m. Saturday in Putian County, Fujian. So far, a total of 1.04 million people in Fujian have been affected.

The city of Fuding experienced the heaviest downpour of over 501 mm in Fujian.

In the provincial capital of Fuzhou, much of the downtown area was waterlogged. More than 10,000 trees had fallen and traffic stalled on flooded streets.

A total of 163,200 people were evacuated to shore on Saturday night,according to the provincial flood control and drought relief office.

Power supply for more than three million households was affected. As of Sunday morning electricity has been resumed in 1.14 million households after urgent repairs, according to State Grid Fujian Electric Power Co., Ltd.

Three airports in the province were closed, with more than 530 flights canceled. Six expressways were closed, and 191 high-speed trains were canceled.

As the typhoon moved to east China, the Fujian flood control and drought relief office downgraded the level-three typhoon emergency response to a level-two response.

Soudelor landed in Taiwan earlier Saturday and left at least six people dead, four missing and 102 injured.

Related:

Taiwan lifts warning for super typhoon Soudelor

TAIPEI, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Taiwan's meteorological authority Sunday morning lifted warnings for super typhoon Soudelor after it battered the island, killing five people Saturday.Full Story

Typhoon Soudelor sweeps through E China

FUZHOU, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Soudelor, the 13th this year, is moving from southeast China's Fujian Province to neighboring Zhejiang and Jiangxi provinces on Sunday morning after it landed in the Chinese mainland on Saturday night.

Typhoon Soudelor hit Putian City in Fujian at 10:10 p.m. Saturday and stormed through the province.Full Story

Nearly 5,000 evacuated as Typhoon Soudelor approaches SE China

FUZHOU, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- Nearly 5,000 people in southeast China's Fujian Province have been evacuated as Typhoon Soudelor, the 13th this year, is expected to hit the province on Saturday.Full Story

分享
China starts emergency response for typhoon-hit areas
Heavy downpours caused by Typhoon Soudelor hit China's Lushan
Typhoon Soudelor kills 12 in E China
Aerial view of Rongjiang River in China's Guangxi
Aerial view of Rongjiang River in China's Guangxi
Heavy downpours caused by Typhoon Soudelor hit China's Lushan
Heavy downpours caused by Typhoon Soudelor hit China's Lushan
Chinese VP visits Singapore to attend National Day Parade
Chinese VP visits Singapore to attend National Day Parade
Vice Premier opens Chinese Ethnic Games
Vice Premier opens Chinese Ethnic Games
Israeli man stabbed near Jerusalem, 1 Palestinian attacker shot dead
Israeli man stabbed near Jerusalem, 1 Palestinian attacker shot dead
Egyptian ousted president sits behind defendants' cage during trial
Egyptian ousted president sits behind defendants' cage during trial
Argentina begins open primary, simultaneous and mandatory elections
Argentina begins open primary, simultaneous and mandatory elections
Singapore marks independence Golden Jubilee
Singapore marks independence Golden Jubilee
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011100001344975831