Xinhuanet

Search for more MH370 debris to continue for 1 week: official

English.news.cn 2015-08-07 22:21:49
Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week.

Dominique Sorain, La Reunion's administrator, talks to media after a press conference on search plan for MH370 debris in Reunion Island, on Aug. 7, 2015. Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week. (Xinhua/Romain Latournerie)

Click here for more photos>>

LA REUNION, France, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week.

Dominique Sorain, La Reunion's administrator, told reporters Friday that a military transport plane was patrolling the seas off the coast and a ship had also departed for search.

He said there will also be forces patrolling the eastern part of the island where a flaperon -- the first suspected MH 370 debris -- was discovered.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak announced Thursday that verification has confirmed that the flaperon belongs to MH370.

"The plan will be developed in the coming days, but we will require a minimum of a week conclude the search," Sorain said.

He said the search will focus on the eastern zone of the Reunion Island, up to the search zone under the control of Mauritius authorities.

"We shall mobilize all local means at our disposal, which are normally used in such operations, and which are usable for this type of search," he said.

"We have urged all ships, both fishing and commercial, to immediately contact Reunion's Regional Operation Center for Surveillance and Rescue," he added.

MH370, the Malaysian aircraft that went missing over the Indian Ocean on March 8, 2014, hit the healines of most media across the world again as its first part was located in the previously obscure island of Reunion in the southern Indian Ocean more than 500 days after it vanished.

The administrator confirmed that new debris had been found on the Reunion Island.

"There is a lot of debris, some as small as a finger, which have been found and placed in the hands of the judicial authorities. But we are not sure whether they are part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane. These objects will require more expertise," Sorain said.

Asked on the identity of the debris found about nine days ago in Saint-Andre, the administrator confirmed the views expressed by the Paris deputy prosecutor in charge of investigations.

"There is a strong assumption that the discovered piece came from MH370 plane," Sorain said.

With regards to victims' families who wish to come to the Reunion Island, Sorain said if necessary, he will contact the consular authorities of the concerned countries. "We have not received any official request," he said.

Experts said more parts from the missing aircraft were urgently needed to finally unlock the mystery, and hopes remain high for Reunion island.

Related:

Hunt for more MH370 debris to start off Reunion island: official

LA REUNION, France, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week.

Dominique Sorain, La Reunion's administrator, told reporters Friday that a military transport plane was patrolling the seas off the coast and a ship had also departed for search. Full story

Spotlight: Black box still key to unfolding MH370 mysteries

BEIJING, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- With airplane debris discovered on Reunion Island confirmed Thursday to be from the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, an aviation security expert said future search mission should still center on finding the black box.

Graham Braithwaite, aviation security expert at Britain's Cranfield University, told Xinhua that the search for the black box is still the core objective, as the data within it is key to solving all the mysteries. Full story

Backgrounder: A chronology of search for MH370

BEIJING, Aug. 6 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed in an announcement early Thursday that the debris discovered on Reunion Island belongs to MH370, the Malaysian Airlines passenger plane that went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.

Prior to discovering the debris on the French overseas island in the southwestern Indian Ocean, a massive surface and underwater hunt had failed to find the plane, making it one of the biggest mysteries in the aviation history. Full story

[Editor: huaxia]
 
Search for more MH370 debris to continue for 1 week: official
                 English.news.cn | 2015-08-07 22:21:49 | Editor: huaxia
Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week.

Dominique Sorain, La Reunion's administrator, talks to media after a press conference on search plan for MH370 debris in Reunion Island, on Aug. 7, 2015. Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week. (Xinhua/Romain Latournerie)

Click here for more photos>>

LA REUNION, France, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week.

Dominique Sorain, La Reunion's administrator, told reporters Friday that a military transport plane was patrolling the seas off the coast and a ship had also departed for search.

He said there will also be forces patrolling the eastern part of the island where a flaperon -- the first suspected MH 370 debris -- was discovered.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak announced Thursday that verification has confirmed that the flaperon belongs to MH370.

"The plan will be developed in the coming days, but we will require a minimum of a week conclude the search," Sorain said.

He said the search will focus on the eastern zone of the Reunion Island, up to the search zone under the control of Mauritius authorities.

"We shall mobilize all local means at our disposal, which are normally used in such operations, and which are usable for this type of search," he said.

"We have urged all ships, both fishing and commercial, to immediately contact Reunion's Regional Operation Center for Surveillance and Rescue," he added.

MH370, the Malaysian aircraft that went missing over the Indian Ocean on March 8, 2014, hit the healines of most media across the world again as its first part was located in the previously obscure island of Reunion in the southern Indian Ocean more than 500 days after it vanished.

The administrator confirmed that new debris had been found on the Reunion Island.

"There is a lot of debris, some as small as a finger, which have been found and placed in the hands of the judicial authorities. But we are not sure whether they are part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane. These objects will require more expertise," Sorain said.

Asked on the identity of the debris found about nine days ago in Saint-Andre, the administrator confirmed the views expressed by the Paris deputy prosecutor in charge of investigations.

"There is a strong assumption that the discovered piece came from MH370 plane," Sorain said.

With regards to victims' families who wish to come to the Reunion Island, Sorain said if necessary, he will contact the consular authorities of the concerned countries. "We have not received any official request," he said.

Experts said more parts from the missing aircraft were urgently needed to finally unlock the mystery, and hopes remain high for Reunion island.

Related:

Hunt for more MH370 debris to start off Reunion island: official

LA REUNION, France, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- Authority of France's oversea island La Reunion has confirmed the plan of search for more MH370 parts and said the search will last for at least one week.

Dominique Sorain, La Reunion's administrator, told reporters Friday that a military transport plane was patrolling the seas off the coast and a ship had also departed for search. Full story

Spotlight: Black box still key to unfolding MH370 mysteries

BEIJING, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- With airplane debris discovered on Reunion Island confirmed Thursday to be from the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, an aviation security expert said future search mission should still center on finding the black box.

Graham Braithwaite, aviation security expert at Britain's Cranfield University, told Xinhua that the search for the black box is still the core objective, as the data within it is key to solving all the mysteries. Full story

Backgrounder: A chronology of search for MH370

BEIJING, Aug. 6 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed in an announcement early Thursday that the debris discovered on Reunion Island belongs to MH370, the Malaysian Airlines passenger plane that went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.

Prior to discovering the debris on the French overseas island in the southwestern Indian Ocean, a massive surface and underwater hunt had failed to find the plane, making it one of the biggest mysteries in the aviation history. Full story

分享
Hopes high for more MH370 telltale signs on la Reunion
MH370 wreckage likely to be found in Australian search area: FM
Malaysia says confirmation on MH370 debris not contradict French announcement
First solid lead to MH370 disappearance emerges, but many questions remain
Spotlight: First solid lead to MH370 disappearance emerges, but many questions remain
Ceremony for donation of medical equipment held in Zambia
Ceremony for donation of medical equipment held in Zambia
China's Yunnan province offers relief aid to Myanmar flood victims
China's Yunnan province offers relief aid to Myanmar flood victims
Rainstorm hits Beijing, China issues yellow alert
Rainstorm hits Beijing, China issues yellow alert
Chinese, Russian regions sign deals
Chinese, Russian regions sign deals
196th anniv. of Boyaca Battle marked in Colombia
196th anniv. of Boyaca Battle marked in Colombia
2 killed, 10 injured in clashes, SE Turkey
2 killed, 10 injured in clashes, SE Turkey
20 feared killed in suicide bombing in Afghan capital
20 feared killed in suicide bombing in Afghan capital
Kenyans pay tribute to victims of 1998 US Embassy Blast
Kenyans pay tribute to victims of 1998 US Embassy Blast
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011100001344933361