BRUSSELS, July 20 (Xinhua) -- European Union (EU) ministers on Monday failed to agree on a plan to relocate 40,000 refugees in Italy and Greece.
"I'm disappointed, we have almost reached the goal," said Dimitris Avramopoulos, the European commissioner for home affairs, following the meeting of the Justice and Home Affairs Council.
"But we still took an important step forward," said Avramopoulos, adding EU member states decided at the meeting to take on more than 32,000 asylum seekers in the next two years.
The provisional figures of 32,256 persons to be relocated showed that Germany pledged to take in 10,500 asylum seekers, at the top of the list.
About 150,000 migrants have reached Europe by sea so far this year, most of them arriving in Italy and Greece, according to a recent report by the International Organization for Migration.
On June 25 this year, the European Council agreed to the relocation of 40,000 asylum seekers from Italy and Greece. All EU member states were asked to participate in this relocation effort. It was hoped that the European ministers would agree on the distribution of the refugees by consensus before the end of July.
Related:
Mediterranean crisis primarily centers on refugees: UNHCR
GENEVA, July 1 (Xinhua) -- The large majority of the 137,000 people who crossed the Mediterranean Sea into Europe during the first six months of 2015 were fleeing from war, conflict or persecution, making the Mediterranean crisis primarily a refugee one, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) said Monday in a report.
The report documented one third of the men, women and children who arrived by sea in Italy or Greece were from Syria. The second and third most common countries of origin are Afghanistan and Eritrea. Full story
UNHCR calls for further EU action on refugees
GENEVA, June 26 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations refugee agency on Friday called on the European Union (EU) to do more on refugees.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on Friday said the decision of the European Council to relocate 40,000 people in need of international protection and to resettle 20,000 refugees as "an important step along the way to finding answers to this crisis." Full story
UN chief calls for "open hearts" for refugees
UNITED NATIONS, June 20 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon on Saturday called on the international community to recall common humanity and open hearts to refugees in the world.
Ban made the appeal on the occasion to commemorate World Refugee Day, which fell on Saturday. Full story