
Members of the Nepalese Armed Police Force try to rescue people stuck in houses in Bhaktapur, Nepal, April 26, 2015. A total of 3,218 people were killed and about 6,500 others injured in the powerful earthquake that struck Nepal on Saturday, the authorities said April 27. (Xinhua/Pratap Thapa)
KATHDMANDU, April 27 (Xinhua) -- A total of 3,218 people had been killed and about 6,500 others injured in the powerful earthquake that struck Nepal at midday Saturday, the authorities said Monday morning.
The 7.9-magnitude quake jolted central, western, mid-western and far-western parts of Nepal, which was followed by at least 15 strong aftershocks, with the last one of 6.7 magnitude occurred on Sunday afteroon.
The quake has also caused property damages worth billions of U. S. dollar in the country.
Four Chinese nationals, including two workers with a Chinese company, a mountain climber and a tourist, were killed and five others seriously injured in the quake, the Chinese Embassy has confirmed.
Rescue operations are underway by the Nepal Army, Police and Armed Police Force.
An emergency cabinet meeting has announced 29 districts in the country as crisis zones, according to the Home Ministry.
The powerful quake also jolted neighboring India and Bangladesh.
Amid the devastating disaster, the government of Nepal has appealed for assistance from the international community.
A 62-strong China International Search and Rescue Team arrived in Nepal on Sunday to carry out the humanitarian mission.
Related:
Chinese medical team arrives in quake-stricken Nepal for humanitarian mission
KATHMANDU, April 27 (Xinhua) -- A 58-strong Chinese Government Medical Team arrived in Nepal Monday morning to carry out humanitarian mission after the country was struck by a powerful earthquake at midday Saturday. Full Story
Photos>> Chinese rescue team carries out humanitarian mission in Nepal
Photos>> China's medical team departs from Chengdu to join Nepal search









