Xinhuanet

Search operation at MH17 crash site resumes

English.news.cn 2015-04-16 20:18:04

 
Experts of Netherlands and Malasia start new work on the site where the MH17 plane of Malaysia Airlines crashed on the outskirts of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, April 16, 2015. A search and recovery operation restarted on Thursday at the site in eastern Ukraine where Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 crashed last July, killing all 298 passengers aboard. (Xinhua/Alexander Ermochenko)

KIEV, April 16 (Xinhua) -- A search and recovery operation restarted on Thursday at the site in eastern Ukraine where Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 crashed last July, killing all 298 passengers aboard.

A team of international experts from the Netherlands and Malaysia have arrived at the crash area in Donetsk region for the first time in five months, local media reported.

A total of 30 investigators are expected to spend two to three weeks to search for physical evidence of the crash, personal belongings of the victims and human remains.

Michael Marshall, a member of the search team from the Netherlands in charge of identifying the bodies, said that a total of 296 of the dead have so far been identified, while two are still unaccounted for.

The search of the area was suspended in November last year because of harsh winter conditions and hostilities between government troops and pro-independence insurgents near the crash site. Now, a fragile truce is in place in eastern Ukraine, allowing international experts to safely access the area.

The Boeing 777-200, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, went down on July 17, 2014 near Grabove village over the insurgent-held territory in Donetsk region.

The Ukrainian government and insurgents in eastern Ukraine have blamed each other for the downing of the passenger jet.

[Editor: huaxia]
 
Search operation at MH17 crash site resumes
                 English.news.cn | 2015-04-16 20:18:04 | Editor: huaxia

 
Experts of Netherlands and Malasia start new work on the site where the MH17 plane of Malaysia Airlines crashed on the outskirts of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, April 16, 2015. A search and recovery operation restarted on Thursday at the site in eastern Ukraine where Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 crashed last July, killing all 298 passengers aboard. (Xinhua/Alexander Ermochenko)

KIEV, April 16 (Xinhua) -- A search and recovery operation restarted on Thursday at the site in eastern Ukraine where Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 crashed last July, killing all 298 passengers aboard.

A team of international experts from the Netherlands and Malaysia have arrived at the crash area in Donetsk region for the first time in five months, local media reported.

A total of 30 investigators are expected to spend two to three weeks to search for physical evidence of the crash, personal belongings of the victims and human remains.

Michael Marshall, a member of the search team from the Netherlands in charge of identifying the bodies, said that a total of 296 of the dead have so far been identified, while two are still unaccounted for.

The search of the area was suspended in November last year because of harsh winter conditions and hostilities between government troops and pro-independence insurgents near the crash site. Now, a fragile truce is in place in eastern Ukraine, allowing international experts to safely access the area.

The Boeing 777-200, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, went down on July 17, 2014 near Grabove village over the insurgent-held territory in Donetsk region.

The Ukrainian government and insurgents in eastern Ukraine have blamed each other for the downing of the passenger jet.

分享
JIT continues investigation into downing of flight MH17 in 2014
New flight with remains of MH17 victims arrives in Eindhoven
Dutch team to inspect new areas of MH17 crash site
Chang Wanquan anttends 4th Moscow Int'l Security Conference in Russia
Chang Wanquan anttends 4th Moscow Int'l Security Conference in Russia
Remarkable celadon professor succeeds in combining modern and ancient
Remarkable celadon professor succeeds in combining modern and ancient
China, Malaysia, Australia agree to double search zone of MH370
China, Malaysia, Australia agree to double search zone of MH370
Japanese maple trees at Humble Administrator’s Garden
Japanese maple trees at Humble Administrator’s Garden
Holocaust Remembrance Day marked in Croatia
Holocaust Remembrance Day marked in Croatia
Houthi members protest against Saudi-led airstrikes, arms embago
Houthi members protest against Saudi-led airstrikes, arms embago
Yemeni people face severe condition after 3-week airstrikes
Yemeni people face severe condition after 3-week airstrikes
Iranian students protest against Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen
Iranian students protest against Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011106041341576971