Sierra Leone to lose 920 million USD in 2015 due to Ebola
disease
FREETOWN, Feb. 17 (Xinhua) -- The President of Sierra Leone said
Monday that the country stands to lose about 920 million dollars in
2015 as a result of the impact of Ebola.
President Ernest Bai Koroma was addressing a private sector
development round table on post Ebola in Freetown during which he
enumerated how Ebola has paralyzed the economy.
The round table was organized by the Ministry of Transport
together with Sierra Leone Industrial Export Promotion Authority
(SLIEPA).
He pointed out that the impact has affected all sectors of the
economy including agriculture, mining, tourism as well as the
manufacturing industry.
He went further to state that the private sector has also not
being spared by the Ebola crisis.
He noted that the manufacturing sector contracted by 2.0% from a
projected growth of 10%, the transport industry fell to 0.1% in
2014, while the tourism recorded a considerable decline to about
30% from May to September last year.
Financial activities were disrupted with normal banking hours
reduced with community banks and Financial Service Associations
(FSA) closed down.
The Head of State lamented that the mining sector which has been
the "prime mover of growth" also had its challenges. Most of the
mining companies, such as African Minerals that supported the
economy had to temporarily close down.
"Its effect has negatively wrecked the economy thereby bringing
the country almost at standstill," said the President.
In this regard, the President urged the participants including
the donors and the international community that "it is imperative
that we defeat Ebola to stop the paralysis of the economy by
Ebola".
He stressed that we must not allow Ebola to continue to paralyze
the country's action for economic growth, investment, job creation
as well as sustainable returns for the private sector.
President Koroma seized the opportunity to comment on the
Auditor General's report on the management of the Ebola funds
noting that he has received it and forward it to Parliament for
deliberation and ultimate recommendations as stipulated in the
constitution.
He recalled his social mobilization tours countrywide during
which he cautioned for judicious use of the funds.
He pointed out that he realized that "most had not lived to up
to expectation" but warned that action will be taken against those
the report found wanted.
He however called on the international community to also
investigate those international NGOs that also collected monies
meant for Ebola.
To conclude, President Koroma called on the private sector that
they had a key role to play in restoring the country's economy.
Enditem