CAIRO, Feb. 16 (Xinhua) -- At least 40 suspected Islamic State
(IS) militants in Libya were killed early Monday in Egyptian
airstrikes in revenge for the killing of 21 Egyptian Coptic
Christians who had been kidnapped in the Libyan city of Sirte,
state-run Nile TV reported.
In a statement after the operation in Libya, the Egyptian Armed
Forces spokesman said that the warplanes struck the group's camps,
places of gathering and training, and weapons depots in Libya.
"Let those far and near know that Egyptians have a shield to
protect and safeguard the security of the country and a sword that
amputates terrorism and extremism," the spokesman added.
It was the first time Egypt has publically confirmed launching
airstrikes against the group in neighboring Libya, where extremist
groups, threatening both countries, have grown rapidly following
the ouster of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
In a televised speech hours after the release of the IS video on
late Sunday, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said Egypt
would choose the "necessary means and timing to avenge the criminal
killings."
After the early morning Libya operation on Monday, Sisi paid a
visit to the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo to mourn the
victims.
Egypt on Sunday declared a seven-day period of mourning for the
victims.
Libya's air force, meanwhile, announced that it had launched
strikes in the eastern city of Darna, an extremist base that was
taken over by an IS affiliate last year. Enditem