CAIRO, Feb. 16 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic State (IS) group in Libya
released a video on Sunday purportedly showing the beheading of 21
Egyptian Christians, which enraged President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi
who warned of response to the deaths when appropriate.
In the video, the victims -- Egyptian Coptic Christians abducted
in Libya dressed in orange -- were lined up near the seashore and
forced to kneel on the ground.
"People of the cross, followers of the hostile Egyptian church,"
a caption read on the five-minute video, entitled "A message signed
with blood to the nation of the cross."
Later on Sunday, the Egyptian Orthodox Church confirmed the
killings. "We watched the painful video. We can confirm the slain
were our kidnapped sons in Libya," spokesman for the Coptic
Orthodox Church in Egypt, Polis Halim, was quoted by the state-run
MENA news agency as saying.
The spokesman said the Church is in contact with a number of
government institutions to follow up on the situation.
The Egyptians were abducted in Libya's central city of Sirte on
two separate occasions in December and January, only one week
apart.
Sisi delivered a televised speech hours after the release of the
video, saying that "Egypt reserves the right to respond in a
suitable way and time to punish these murderers."
Egypt is able to defeat terrorism because it "is defending
humanity," and these cowardly actions will not undermine its
determination, Sisi said.
"Egypt and the whole world are in a fierce battle with extremist
groups carrying extremist ideology and sharing the same goals," he
said with visible anger on his face, adding that "We all need to be
united to fight terrorism."
Sisi also declared a seven-day mourning over the death of the
victims and ordered an emergency meeting of the National Defense
Council, urging the government to move swiftly to assist the
victims' families.
The president also said he had ordered the government to enforce
a travel ban on Libya.
Thousands of Egyptians have traveled to Libya to look for jobs
since an uprising in 2011, despite the government's advice not to
go to the lawless country.
The beheadings could strengthen Sisi's determination to deal
with security threats from militants thriving in neighboring
Libya.
The IS has been bombed by U.S. and partner-nation military
forces in Syria and Iraq. In retaliation, the militant group has
murdered five Western hostages, two Japanese and a Jordanian pilot
since August last year.
Egypt has denied reports that it had taken part in the U.S.-led
air strikes against IS targets in Syria and Iraq. However, U.S.
officials said its ally, the United Arab Emirates, carried out
strikes using Egyptian bases.
This is the first time the IS has released an official video
showing such killings outside the territories it controls in Syria
and Iraq.
With Libya caught in a chaotic power struggle between two rival
factions operating the country, Western officials worry the IS is
taking advantage of the turmoil to strengthen their presence
there.
"Libya has the same features of potentially becoming as bad as
what we are seeing in Iraq and Syria," UN special envoy to Libya
Bernardino Leon told media. Enditem