 |
| Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) personnel prepare diving equipment to search victims of AirAsia QZ8501 on Java Sea, in Indoensia, Jan. 2, 2015. Rescuers have discovered 30 bodies from Indonesian waters where AirAsia plane with 162 people on board crashed on Dec. 28, 2014, head of the National Search and Rescue Agency F. Henry Bambang Sulistyo said here Friday. (Xinhua/Agung Kuncahya B.) |
JAKARTA, Jan. 2 (Xinhua) -- Rescuers have discovered 30 bodies from Indonesian waters where AirAsia plan with 162 people on board crashed on Sunday, head of the National Search and Rescue Agency F. Henry Bambang Sulistyo said here Friday.
"So far, there are 30 bodies found that I have confirmed," he told a press conference.
He said that 10 out of the 30 bodies are being moved from the airport at Pangkalan Bun of Central Kalimantan to Surabaya, the capital of East Java province.
While four bodies were still at the airport in Pangkalan Bun, eight others are at two ships and the rest are already in Surabaya city, said Sulistyo.
The eight bodies in the two ships included seven at an Indonesian rescue ship KRI Bung Tomo and one at Malaysian rescue ship KD Pahang, he said.
"Now, the two ships are struggling against huge waves toward Pangkalan Bun, but so far they have not arrived," he added.
He said that huge waves up to five meters high hampered search and rescue operations on Friday. A drizzle and light clouds covered the area Friday, and rain, strong winds and high waves were forecast until Sunday. Strong sea currents have also kept debris moving.
Nine planes, many with metal detecting equipment, were also scouring a 13,500-square-km area off Pangkalan Bun. "We will focus on underwater detection," said Sulistyo, adding that ships from Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, the United States had been on the scene since early Friday to try to locate wreckage and flight data and cockpit voice recorders.
Related:
Spotlight: Multinational hunt under way for AirAsia black boxes, bad weather hampers search operation
BEIJING, Jan. 2 (Xinhua) -- A team of multinational specialists will arrive at the suspected crash site of an AirAsia jetliner off the Borneo Island on Friday, in an effort to help the search operation for the plane's black boxes. Full story
Experts identifying more victims of crashed AirAsia plane, search continues
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan. 2 (Xinhua) -- Royal Malaysian Navy Chief Abdul Aziz Jaafar said on Friday that on his tweet account that the search sector for AirAsia flight QZ8501 has been moved 30 nautical miles to the east.
He said the "most probable area" was established with a dimension of 1,575 sq nautical miles. Full story
"Most probable area" of AirAsia wreck established: Malaysian Navy chief
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan. 2 (Xinhua) -- Royal Malaysian Navy Chief Abdul Aziz Jaafar said on Friday that on his tweet account that the search sector for AirAsia flight QZ8501 has been moved 30 nautical miles to the east.
He said the "most probable area" was established with a dimension of 1,575 sq nautical miles. Full story
