Internet access resumed in DPRK after temporary suspension
English.news.cn   2014-12-23 14:04:29

PYONGYANG, Dec. 23 (Xinhua) -- Internet access resumed in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Tuesday morning, after a few hours of outage that came amid bickering between the United States and the Asian country over an earlier cyber attack on Sony Pictures.

Problems with the Internet access started to emerge on Sunday, with a handful of websites unable to be reached. On Monday afternoon, Internet connections were lost in parts of Capital City Pyongyang, and since around 1:00 a.m. Tuesday morning, the Internet access has completely broken down including 3g networks on mobile phones.

However, by around 10:50 a.m. the Internet access on computers and 3g networks have gone back to normal operation.

A staff member at the Internet management office told Xinhua Monday that the suspension was caused by overload operation, denying that the network had been hacked.

The U.S.-based Sony Pictures Entertainment was cyber attacked in late November, which caused huge damage to the underlying system of the corporate and prompted the company to cancel the Christmas Day release of its comedy movie entitled "The Interview," which depicts an assassination attempt on DPRK leader Kim Jong Un.

After the Federal Bureau of Investigation claimed its investigation found "enough information" to conclude that the DPRK was "responsible for" the attack, U.S. President Barack Obama said Friday that his government will "respond proportionally" to the cyber attack, for which he pointed the finger at the DPRK.

On Saturday the DPRK rejected the U.S. accusation and proposed a joint investigation with the United States.

No official comments have been made on the DPRK side regarding the temporary suspension of Internet use.

Related:

U.S. calls for DPRK compensation for alleged Sony hacking

WASHINGTON, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) -- The United States on Monday insisted on blaming the Democratic People's Republic of Korea ( DPRK) for a cyber attack on the U.S.-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, demanding Pyongyang compensate for the damages caused.Full story

UN Security Council to meet on DPRK's human rights

UNITED NATIONS, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) -- The UN Security Council will meet on Monday afternoon on the issue of DPRK's human rights.

The 3 pm meeting is in connection with a letter dated Dec. 5, 2014 addressed to the president of the Security Council.Full story

DPRK warns S.Korea against rebuilding Christmas tree tower on border

PYONGYANG, Dec. 21 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Saturday warned South Korea against building a new light tower near the border after a 43-year-old Christmas tree-shaped tower was dismantled in October.Full story

Editor: xuxin
Follow Xinhuanet     
分享
Related News
010020070750000000000000011100001338735141