No report from Google yet: China's Ministry of Commerce
www.chinaview.cn 2010-01-15 11:18:16   Print

    BEIJING, Jan. 15 (Xinhua) -- China's Ministry of Commerce (MOC)spokesman Yao Jian said Friday that the ministry had received no indications from Google that the company will leave China.

    "So far, the MOC and Beijing Municipal Commission of Commerce have received no reports that Google would withdraw investment from China, or withdraw from the Chinese market," Yao told a regular press conference.

    He said China's investment environment had gradually improved since the implementation of the reform and opening-up policy. China would continue to provide a sound investment environment for overseas investors.

    Foreign businesses, including Google, should also respect laws and regulations, the public interest, traditional culture, and policies of their host countries, Yao said.

    Yao made the remarks after Google's corporate development and chief legal officer, David Drummond, posted a statement on the company's official blog on Tuesday, indicating the possibility that Google may "shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China."

    The statement said its disputes with the government and unidentified attacks targeting Google's services in China forced the company to make the review of "the feasibility of our businessoperations in China."

    "Foreign investors should have confidence in China's market as China has the world's biggest Internet population," said Yao. "Any decision by Google to withdraw from China will not affect Sino-U.S. trade relations."

Editor: An
Related Stories
Google agrees to remove site promoting racist views of indigenous Australians
China stands firm on Internet security amid Google drama
Chinese gov't seeking clarity on Google intentions
Talks over copyright disputes postponed between Google and China writers
Home China
  Back to Top