Iraqi court sentences 11 to death over deadly bombings
www.chinaview.cn 2010-01-14 16:51:37   Print

    BAGHDAD, Jan. 14 (Xinhua) -- An Iraqi court Thursday sentenced to death 11 people charged with being involved in the massive bombings against ministries in Baghdad on Aug. 19 last year that killed and wounded some 1,300 people, an official said.

    "The Criminal Court of Rasafa sentenced to death 11 criminals who are involved in the bombings of ministries of foreign affairs and finance," the official in the Iraqi Higher Judicial Council told Xinhua.

    On Aug. 19, two truck rigged with tons of explosives struck the buildings of the two ministries in central Baghdad, causing massive destruction to the buildings and surrounding area.

    Observers here saw that the major attacks on the government ministries were actually targeting nerve centers of Maliki's government. Therefore, the attacks were targeting Maliki's re-election efforts which were based on improved security.

    Security situation remains one of major concerns in the war-torn country until the national polls slated for March 7.

Special Report: Tension escalates in Iraq

Editor: Zhang Xiang
Related Stories
Civilian killed in Iraq's Diyala violence
Suicide truck bomb kills 2 in western Iraq
Iraq forces detain 25 suspects, seize explosives in Baghdad
Three policemen killed in Iraq's Diyala province
Security intensified in Iraq's Baghdad
Home World
  Back to Top