Mumbai attacker Kasab retracts confession, claims meeting U.S. terror suspect
www.chinaview.cn 2009-12-18 18:00:42   Print

    NEW DELHI, Dec. 18 (Xinhua) -- Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, the only militant caught alive in Mumbai terror attacks, Friday retracted his earlier confession before an Indian special court, said officials sources.

    But Kasab also claimed he had met arrested U.S. citizen David Coleman Headley, who has recently been charged by the FBI for planning the Mumbai attacks, as the latter interrogated him with four whitemen in his cell at the Mumbai police custody after he was captured, said the sources.

    In the special court at Arthur Road prison, Kasab told Judge MLTahaliyani that his statement was made under duress, adding that every claim made against him were absolutely false, said the sources.

    "I have not given any confession before the magistrate and my statement has been falsely implicated," he was quoted as saying by the sources.

    Kasab also claimed that he was not involved in the terror attacks at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station in Mumbai on Nov. 26 last year and also denied that he entered India through the sea route in a dingy along with nine other terrorists.

    In fact, he told the court that he was in India 20 days prior to the Mumbai terror attacks and was here to make a career in Bollywood.

    "On the night of Nov. 25, I was roaming in Juhu. I had gone to see a movie when the local police arrested me," he told the court.

    Kasab also claimed that he was arranging for a house in Mumbai.

    "I had a passport and I'm not the first one to come from Pakistan to Juhu area. I was arranging for a house here. The local police first arrested me and then handed me over to the Crime Branch," he said.

    However, in a twist, Kasab said that Headley, along with four whitemen, interrogated him while he was in the custody of the Mumbai police after his arrest.

    "Kasab claimed that Headley interrogated him in his cell on his own. The court didn't ask him whether he met Headley or not," sources said.

    Meanwhile, Indian Special Public Prosecutor Ujjal Nikam told the media that the prosecution has put up a very strong case against Kasab, saying over 600 witnesses have deposed against him in the case.

Editor: Zhang Xiang
Related Stories
India says travel documents of U.S. Mumbai attacks suspect yet to be traced
Mumbai attacker trial likely to conclude in a week
India pays homage to Mumbai attacks victims
India remembers Mumbai mayhem after one year
Home World
  Back to Top