Two blasts kills 13 Afghans, wounds over 40 others
www.chinaview.cn 2009-12-15 18:05:45   Print

    KABUL, Dec. 15 (Xinhua) -- Two blasts which hit Afghan capital Kabul and Paktia's provincial capital Gerdez on Tuesday killed at least 13 people, mostly civilians, and injured over 40 others.

    "A suicide car bomb hit Wazir Akbar Khan district this morning claimed the lives of eight innocent civilians including four women and injured 40 others," Interior Ministry said in a statement.

An Afghan security personnel inspect a damaged car at the site of an explosion near the resident house of former vice president in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, Dec. 15, 2009. (Xinhua/Zabi Tamanna)
Photo Gallery>>>

    However, locals at the site of the incident put the number of casualties higher than reported.

    Wazir Akbar Khan district is a diplomatic enclave where several embassies and international agencies have their offices.

    However, the Interior Ministry in the statement did not say who was the target or which group is behind the attack.

    Close to the blast is the house of former Afghan Vice President Ahmad Zia Masoud and according to local media his secretary is among those killed in the incident.

    The house of the former Kabul police chief Mohammad Salim Ahsasis also badly damaged in the blast.

Afghan security personnel inspect the site of an explosion near the resident house of former vice president in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, Dec. 15, 2009. (Xinhua/Zabi Tamanna)
Photo Gallery>>>

    Meantime, Taliban outfit, according to local media has claimed responsibility for the blast, saying the target was former President Burhanudin Rabbani.

    Another explosion targeted an aid agency in Paktia province east of Afghanistan Tuesday morning left five persons including a Nepalese dead, spokesman for provincial administration Ruhullah Samoon said.

    "The blast occurred inside an aid agency office in Paktia's provincial capital Gerdez this morning killing five people including a national of Nepal and an Afghan woman," Samoon told Xinhua.

    Nevertheless, he did not say if anyone sustained injuries in the blast.

    Escalation in militancy is taking place amid troops buildup by the United States and NATO to Afghanistan.

    In efforts to bolster war against Taliban and al-Qaida network, President Barack Obama in a new strategy for Afghanistan earlier this month announced an additional 30,000 troops to Afghanistan, which brought the number of U.S.-NATO-led troops to over 130,000 within months.

    President Hamid Karzai in a statement released by his office strongly condemned the deadly blast in Kabul and ordered security bodies to bring to justice those responsible for organizing the coward act.

Editor: Han Jingjing
Related Stories
Afghan police discover explosive device, foil terrorist attack
Huge weapon cache discovered in north of Afghan capital
Five killed, three injured in south China factory blast
Home World
  Back to Top