S Korea reports four additional deaths related to A/H1N1
www.chinaview.cn 2009-10-27 08:49:31   Print

    SEOUL, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The South Korean authorities on Tuesday reported four additional deaths related to A/H1N1.

    According to the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, a 76-year-old woman, an 84-year-old man, a 26-year-old woman and a 43-year-old woman died after having infected with the A/H1N1 virus.

People wearing masks wait for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary H1N1 flu treatment centre at Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.

People wearing masks wait for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary H1N1 flu treatment centre at Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.(Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>


    The exact cause of their death, including whether the virus has actually caused the deaths, is still under investigation, the authorities said.

    Fears are growing in South Korea recently over the fast spread of the new flu.

    On Monday, the country reported five death cases linked with the new virus, including three kids, posting the largest number of deaths reported on a single day since the epidemic broke out in the country in early May.

    Amid the public concern, the South Korean government promised to do all it can to protect the public from the A/H1N1 flu.

    The related ministries issued a joint statement Tuesday urging people to continue to attach the greatest importance to personal hygiene to prevent infection, and also hoped the public not to lose trust in the government.

    The government also said antiviral medicines such as Tamiflu and Relenza will be provided to most pharmacies across the nation starting Oct. 30.

A man (R) listens to a medical worker's explanation as he waits for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary treatment centre of Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.

A man (R) listens to a medical worker's explanation as he waits for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary treatment centre of Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.(Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>



    Meanwhile, the country began the A/H1N1 vaccinations on Tuesday.

        The first wave of vaccinations mainly covered medical staff and quarantine officers in hospitals designated as A/H1N1 flu-treatment facilities.

    Vaccinations for elementary, middle and high school students will begin in mid-November, while for preschool children, the elderly and patients with chronic diseases will start in January.

    A daily average of some 4,000 new cases of A/H1N1 was reported last week, according to the health authorities. However, the South Korean government said currently it would not upgrade its pandemic alert for the new virus to the highest level.

    Minister for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs Jeon Jae-hee said the country is able to deal with the new flu situation with the current measures.

People wearing masks wait for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary H1N1 flu treatment centre of Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.

People wearing masks wait for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary H1N1 flu treatment centre of Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.(Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>



    
Special Report:  World Tackles A/H1N1 Flu  ¡¡



People wearing masks wait for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary H1N1 flu treatment centre at Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.

People wearing masks wait for a H1N1 flu check-up at a temporary H1N1 flu treatment centre at Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul October 27, 2009. The first round of a government vaccination program started on Tuesday after 28 South Koreans died since the flu outbreak, local media reported.(Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>

Editor: Li Xianzhi
Related Stories
1,095 A/H1N1 flu cases reported in Turkey
Pilgrims inoculated with A/H1N1 vaccine in China's largest Hui community
Two more deaths take Hong Kong's A/H1N1 flu toll to 36
Chinese mainland reports new death case of A/H1N1 flu
First fatal case of A/H1N1 flu reported in Finland
Home Health
  Back to Top