Hezbollah vows tougher reaction than 2006 if Israel attacks
www.chinaview.cn 2009-08-10 23:52:34   Print

    BEIRUT, Aug. 10 (Xinhua) -- Hezbollah's Executive Council Chief Hashem Safiyyeddine warned Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak that the organization will take tougher reactions than that during the second Lebanon war if Israel attacks again, the local El-Nashra website reported on Monday.

    "If Barak's threats were serious, though I don't think they were, he should be aware that if he commits an error or stupid act against Lebanon... he will discover that the months of July and August 2006 were just a bit of fun," Safiyyeddine said.

    Speaking at a ceremony in south Lebanon, Safiyyeddine said "We have never, and we will never seek war. However, the rule that we've adopted to keep the war away from our country is that we have to be strong."

    Barak said on Thursday last week that the Jewish state would use "all necessary force" if there was a fresh conflict on its northern border with Lebanon. He charged that Hezbollah had stockpiled 40,000 rockets.

    Lieutenant General Gaby Ashkenazi, head of Israel's armed forces, warned last month against a military conflict with Lebanon, saying Hezbollah's weapons stockpile poses a "serious" threat to Israel.

    "Based on the fact that we are strong today and we have been living on the formula and the victory of the 2006 war, we believe that all of the Israeli threats are hollow and meaningless," Safiyyeddine said.

    Safiyyeddine added that all Israeli schemes against the resistance and all the United States' political projects to curb the resistance and take vengeance on it have failed, adding that there is no need to be worried.

    Addressing the political players in Lebanon, Safiyyeddine said that the Lebanese must differentiate between their friend and their enemy, and they have to know how to set their political priorities.

    Moreover, Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri ruled out any possible attack by the Jewish State on Lebanon this year, saying Israeli threats are part of media and psychological warfare against the country.

    Berri told As-Safir newspaper on Monday that he believed Israel would not launch war on Lebanon in 2009, unless an uncalculated dramatic event takes place.

    He said that the latest threats by Israeli officials, which a repart of media and psychological warfare, did not necessarily pave the way for an aggression anytime soon.

    The Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned on Monday that Lebanon will be held responsible for attacks from its territory in case that Hezbollah joins the government.

Editor: Yan
Related Stories
Home World
  Back to Top