KABUL, July 8 (Xinhua) -- Since launching massive offensive against Taliban
militants in the southern Helmand province, the joint troops of U.S. Marine and
Afghan security forces have regained the control of Khanshin district while
efforts for restoring authority in three other districts are continuing, Defense
Ministry said Wednesday.
"Khanshin district is in full control of the government and people have
resumed their normal life," spokesman of Defense Ministry Zahir Azimi told a
However, Azimi added government still does not exist in the districts of
Washir, Desho and Baghran while the troops were clearing those areas step by
step and would eventually establish government's control in all districts of
Moreover, the spokesman noted that sporadic fighting is still continuing
around Garmsir and Nawa districts which have been long plagued by Taliban-led
Azimi also said that so far 27 insurgents and one Afghan soldier had been
killed and five soldiers got wounded during the fighting.
However, he did not make comment on the casualties of the U.S.-led forces
during the operation.
A massive operation dubbed Khanjar or Strike with sword, involving nearly
5,000 Afghan security forces and U.S. Marine, has been launched in Helmand
province since July 2 to restore government control in some five districts held
by Taliban insurgents.