WASHINGTON, March 13 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. government is still expecting a "coherent" explanation from Bolivia for its expulsion of a U.S. diplomat, said the state department on Friday.
"We need a full diplomatic dialogue and a high-quality dialogue," said Tom Shannon, the assistant state secretary for Latin American Affairs, to reporters.
"And regrettably, up to this point, as we have sought to engage the Bolivians around the issues that have provoked their own actions, we have yet to receive what we would consider to be a coherent or a consistent response," he said.
However, Shannon said that the U.S. would continue to "approach the Bolivians in the hope that we can address the underlying issues that have affected the relationship."
Earlier this week, the Bolivian government declared the US embassy's second secretary, Francisco Martinez, as persona non grata, saying he conspired against President Evo Morales-led administration.
Martinez, who has returned to the U.S., was the second senior U.S. diplomat who has been expelled by Bolivian government since last year.
Former US ambassador to Bolivia Phillip Goldberg was asked to leave in September, leaving the embassy without a senior US representative.