Lhasa residents still bruised by deadly riots
www.chinaview.cn 2009-03-13 14:30:00   Print

Special Report: Serfs Emancipation Day

Special Report: Focus on Tibet

    by Xinhua writers Zhou Yan, Yan Yuanyuan, Niu Qi and Hu Xing

    LHASA, March 13 (Xinhua) -- A year after the deadly violence that rocked Lhasa, Losang Tsering still bears the marks: three lost teeth and a scar on his left cheek.

    "Last year was full of challenges for China, with the Lhasa riots and the (May 12) earthquake," he says over the phone. "Let bygones be bygones. Now we just hope everyone will learn to cherish today's happy life."

    Losang Tsering, a surgeon at Tibet Autonomous Regional People's Hospital in Lhasa, was in an ambulance with two Han patients, a father and his dying child, when at least 10 rioters stopped them.

    The doctor knew precisely what was going on. He held the child in his arms and put his own helmet on the father's head. The desperate rioters attacked him with stones and clubs, and he ended up with a broken cheekbone, cerebral concussion and loss of his front teeth.

    Moved by his heroic deed, Lhasa residents -- Tibetans and Han people alike -- flooded his hospital ward, bringing bouquets, gifts and words of admiration and gratitude.

    He also had the honor to be a torch bearer when the Beijing Olympic flame was relayed to Lhasa in June.

    Yet a year is not enough to heal the doctor, physically or mentally.

    "As the first anniversary of the riots approaches, I've been thinking how everyone should work for peace and prevent such violence from erupting again," says Losang Tsering, who is on a year-long advanced training program at Huaxi Hospital in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan Province. "I hope this sensitive month will end in peace and my family will be happily reunited in September."

    Losang Tsering, 37, is a native Tibetan. "You should've been more careful" was all his wife, another medical worker in Lhasa, had to say when she saw how badly he had been injured.

    "I just did my job," he said. "The Han people would have done the same to save the Tibetans."


    Zuo Xiaoyang has tears in her eyes when she remembers her elder brother Zuo Rencun, who died after one of his employees set his garment store in downtown Lhasa on fire. He was 45.

    Zuo Xiaoyang's store was also set on fire, but she managed to escape. Since then, she has been running the two businesses by herself.

    "Business declined sharply after the riots," she says. "In the past two months the combined turnover of the stores was only 1,000 yuan a day."

    Zuo says her merchandise, all economy items with thin margins, mainly targets low-income earners, including peasants and herders. "Buyers were very few. Even the annual shopping spree before the Tibetan New Year holiday didn't come this year."

    Still terrified by last year's tragedy, Zuo mails her income home every month. "If things here go wrong again, I'll escape from Lhasa at all costs. My parents cannot stand any further blows."

    The Yishion garment store on Beijing Road opens 12 hours a day, with loud pop songs and stylish young men and women greeting every potential customer with professional smiles.

    The store, revamped and reopened last May, bears no sign of the burning, looting and deaths of five saleswomen, aged from 19 to 24. But smiles gave way to uneasy looks when "March 14" is mentioned. The date has come to signify the deadly riots.

    "I'm new here and don't know anything," shop assistants say.

    The only surviving employee from the date, 24-year-old Drolma, refuses to say anything. Her look makes any further question unwelcome.

    Manager Tang Qingyan keeps a low profile ahead of the anniversary. He rarely visits the store and never answers Xinhua reporters' phone calls.

    Of all the 1,216 vendors that sustained losses in the riots, Tang was the first to get a government loan of 1 million yuan, with which he revamped his store and planned to expand business. "Then people began to blame him for being selfish, saying he was making money at the cost of five lives," says another storekeeper on condition of anonymity. "I think he was wronged -- his own cousin was among the dead."

    Altogether 18 civilians and a police officer were killed and more than 600 were injured in the violence. It also left seven schools, five hospitals and 120 homes torched and 908 shops looted.

Editor: Wang Hongjiang
Related Stories
Korean reporter: Lhasa's progress far beyond imagination
Lhasa peaceful and quiet on major Tibet anniversary
Photo Gallery
50 years of development in Tibet
Armed policemen plant saplings in Lhasa on Chinese Tree-Planting Day
Buddha-Greeting Festival draws 10, 000 pilgrims
Qamdo City in SE Tibet covered with snow
Lhakang Temple: combination of Tibetan, Han construction style
Students of Tibetan and Han plant trees of friendship
Living Buddha holds religious ceremony in SW China Tibetan county
CPPCC members visit exhibition on Tibet
  Back to Top