Minister: Sudanese gov't rejects ICC's arrest warrant
www.chinaview.cn 2009-03-05 02:25:44   Print

    KHARTOUM, March 4 (Xinhua) -- Sudan's Minister of State for Information and Communication Kamal Ebeid said that his government rejects the arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court(ICC) and would not deal with the court, the state television reported Wednesday.

    "The ICC's decision is regarded as a defiance against Sudan's sovereignty," Ebeid said, adding that "There is no firm evidence behind the ICC's arrest warrant."

    Meanwhile, he reiterated that ICC has no jurisdiction over Sudan and its citizens.

    "The UN and the international community should be responsible for any escalation caused by the ICC's decision," he said, adding "the way Sudan deals with other countries and international organizations is up to their stance toward the ICC's decision."

    Earlier on Wednesday the ICC issued an arrest warrant against Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir for war crimes and crimes against humanity in the country's restive western region of Darfur between 2003 and 2008.

    According to a 176-page report published by a UN-appointed investigation group in January 2005, up to 300,000 people have died since the conflict broke out in 2003. But The Sudanese government puts the death toll at 10,000.

    "He is suspected of...directing attacks against an important part of the civilian population of Darfur, Sudan, murdering, exterminating, raping, torturing and forcibly transferring large numbers of civilians," ICC's spokeswoman Laurence Blairon said at a brief press conference in The Hague.

    Shortly after the ICC's statement, thousands of Sudanese flocked to the capital's Council of Ministers in protest of the arrest warrant against issued by the ICC.

    The majority of the rally, in which protestors chanted religious slogans and vehemently attack the ICC's decision, are the country' s civil servants, an organizer at the scene told Xinhua.

    However, the genocide accusation, filed by the ICC's prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo, was not included in the final decision, according to a statement read by Blairon.

    "The pretrial chamber has not been able to find the reasonable grounds to establish a genocidal intent," Blairon said. 

Editor: Mu Xuequan
Related Stories
Home World
  Back to Top