LUANDA, Jan. 6 (Xinhua) -- The dead monkeys found in the forest in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) might be behind the outbreak of the Ebola virus in DR Congo's southwestern Kassi province, Angola's official news agency ANGOP reported on Tuesday.
Diosdado Nsue-Micawg, representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Angola, was quoted as saying that he feared that the improper handling of the dead monkeys might be the cause of the outbreak of the Ebola pandemic in the DR Congo.
He said although the source of the Ebola virus is so far unknown, it is feared that hunters and women who visit the forest might have been in contact with infected monkeys.
The official also said the WHO has assisted the Angolan government with specific information and instructions to Lunda Norte, Lunda Sul, Moxico, Malanje and Uige provinces that border the DR Congo to revitalize and reorganize the alert and prevention systems.
The WHO representative said the WHO will also help the Angola government with the drafting and implementing of an emergency action plan, the gathering of information on supporting health networks and logistics with a view to effectively handling the possible outbreak of Ebola in the country.
The Ebola virus was first reported in late November last year in DR Congo southwestern province of Kassai, bordering Angola's northwestern Lunda-Norte province.
According to WHO data, three cases of the disease were recorded in the DR Congo and at least 36 suspected cases were recorded, including 12 deaths feared to be related to the disease.
Laboratory tests are now taking place in the DR Congo, Gabon and South Africa.
To prevent the spread of the Ebola pandemic from the DR Congo, Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos on Saturday appointed an ad-hoc commission coordinated by Angolan Prime Minister Antonio Paulo Kassoma.