Killer of six Chinese police executed in Shanghai 2008-11-26 11:11:51   Print

    SHANGHAI, Nov. 26 (Xinhua) -- Yang Jia, a 28-year-old man who had been convicted of killing six police officers in Shanghai, was executed here on Wednesday morning by injection with the approval of the Supreme People's Court.

    Yang, an unemployed Beijing resident, stormed into a Shanghai police station on July 1 and began stabbing people, killing six police officers. Another three policemen and one security guard were injured.

    Yang was sentenced to death on Sept. 1 in the first verdict by the Shanghai No. 2 Intermediate People's Court. He later appealed. On Oct. 20, the Shanghai Higher People's Court upheld the sentence.

    The Supreme People's Court's review is the final legal procedure for Yang's case, as all death sentences should subject to the highest court for ratification for stricter and more appropriate application of capital punishment in the country.

    "In line with an order issued by the Supreme People's Court, the Shanghai No. 2 Intermediate People's Court executed criminal Yang Jia by injection on Nov. 26," said a statement issued by the Supreme People's Court.

    It said the verdict was made "recently" by China's highest court after it completed a review of the case that "has drawn nationwide attention."

    The statement added: "Before the execution, the parties concerned arranged a meeting between Yang Jia and his mother, Wang Jingmei."

    After reviewing the case, the Supreme People's Court affirmed that Yang committed the crime with "premeditated malice and thorough preparation," as he felt dissatisfied with lawful questioning by the police on Oct. 5, 2007, as well as the results after he lodged complaints over the local police, said the statement.

    The court upheld the death sentence with consideration that Yang had committed a "very serious crime" by "cruelly killing in order to vent personal grudges," it said.

    "He should be punished according to the law because the consequence of his crime is very serious and has done great harm to society," said the statement.

    The Supreme People's Court said the previous two verdicts, respectively by the Shanghai No. 2 Intermediate People's Court and the Shanghai Higher People's Court, were made "properly and accurately" because they were based on clear facts, indisputable and sufficient evidence, and had followed legal procedures of trial.

    Yang allegedly had a grievance against Shanghai police interrogation when he was questioned for riding an unlicensed bicycle on Oct. 5, last year. He later sued the officers for 10,000 yuan (1,464 U.S. dollars) for psychological damage, which was rejected.

    A forensic psychiatric assessment conducted by a specialized institute commissioned by the police showed Yang had a perfect capacity for criminal responsibility.

    In the second trial, however, the request of Yang's lawyers for a second psychiatric assessment was turned down by the court.

Editor: An
Related Stories
Home China
  Back to Top